IPPFWHR is an international feminist alliance that works with 135+ organizations in 35+ countries around the world. After the consolidation of a global Feminist Alliance, IPPFWHR is experiencing a historical and incredibly exciting moment of transformation.
The Board of Directors, alongside courageous and committed Partner Organizations and volunteers, co-designed a new feminist model to advance reproductive justice for women, girls, and gender-diverse people. This work extends to every region in the Global South and seeks to have an advocacy presence in major global, regional, and United States-based decision-making spaces.
With its leadership, governance, and programming rooted in the Global South, IPPFWHR also has a footprint in the Global North for key advocacy, operations, and fundraising activities. IPPFWHR has a majority South-based Board of Directors, a senior team that is more than 70% from the Global South, and decentralized operations, with staff based in Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, Panama, Spain and currently recruiting in Asia and Africa.
IPPFWHR focuses on strengthening grassroots movements, nurturing its Feminist Alliance of partners, and reframing narratives to counter the anti-rights and anti-gender movements based on intersectional feminist principles. As an alliance of diverse coalitions, organizations and movements, IPPFWHR’s intersectional feminist approach puts the needs of women and girls at the center of its work and seeks to:
- Increase access to sexual and reproductive health care, accelerate the shift toward more accessible service models that promote self-managed care, community-based and woman-to-woman solutions, and the de medicalization of SRH;
- Connect and coordinate political advocacy strategies and actions across national, regional, and global spaces; and
- Amplify the voices of women, girls, and gender-diverse people – particularly those who have been impacted by colonialism and the African and Indigenous diaspora – in both the United States foreign policy and the global sexual and reproductive health and rights agenda.
About the Role
IPPFWHR is in an exciting stage of building out the mandate of the organization and is looking for dedicated, qualified, and passionate board members that will contribute with their skills and experiences while also reflecting the diversity of the communities it serves, across age, disability, location, race and ethnicity, and sexual and gender identity.
As a voluntary Board member, you will guide the overall strategy of the organization, share a governing role and bear responsibility for the vision and stewardship of the organization. As part of the board, you will also contribute to amplifying and strengthening the work of the Feminist Alliance’s partners, as well as contribute with connections and resources to an annual giving target in accordance with your capacity. This position is open to feminist and rights-based young leaders (under 25) that are eager and passionate to make global change.
Commitment and Responsibilities of the Role
Members of the Board are expected to participate in three meetings each year, in addition to extraordinary meetings where their participation is needed. Furthermore, Board members will also be asked to participate in standing committees that support and advise the Board of Directors. As a matter of full inclusion, all meetings have simultaneous translation and inclusion tools to eliminate barriers to participation.
Each member will contribute a unique set of skills and experiences. We are looking for a variety of outstanding individuals who are:
- Big picture thinkers with broad knowledge of the evolving political, economic, and global public health landscape
- Realistic practitioners with hands-on experience on the ground
- Creative, resilient and innovative leaders that elevate solutions in low-resource settings
Board members will be invited to host or participate in events, such as visits and meetings with partners and donors. They will contribute their expertise, leadership, and innovative approaches to the drafting and implementation of organizational strategy while supporting the organization in their work for the sexual and reproductive health and rights of women, girls, and gender-diverse people living throughout the Global South. While this is an unpaid position, IPPFWHR reimburses all eligible travel expenses in connection with organizational and governance work.
A common denominator for all board members will be the ability to articulate IPPFWHR’s work through feminist lenses and lend a passion for and commitment to upholding sexual and reproductive health and rights. We are looking for individuals who have:
- Demonstrated genuine interest and/or experience in the vision, mission, values, and strategic direction of IPPFWHR
- Deep passion for and commitment to sexual and reproductive health and rights
- Willingness to shift power and build an intersectional movement for sexual and reproductive justice with a strong sense of diversity, equity, and equality
- Willingness to challenge the status quo
- Interest in building relationships and practice inclusion
Board members must have high levels of integrity and top-notch teamwork skills. We are searching for individuals who:
- Have the ability and willingness to work with other board members and organizational leadership to build consensus while navigating varying viewpoints and backgrounds
- Are excellent listeners with solid judgement
- Excel in communication skills and cultural fluency
- Have a proven track record and reputation for ensuring trust and effectiveness on a team while working together with one voice as a governance body on fiduciary responsibilities
- Are flexible and adaptable to the great moment of transformation that the organization is going through and can contribute and commit to reshaping our vision
- Have governance experience in diverse organizations in the Global South, especially in leadership positions or working with a board in a senior management role
- Have the ability to serve as a bridge to expand the organization’s partners and funders landscape, and serve as a connector to other social movements and social justice actors
NB: IPPFWHR is not affiliated with the International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF) or Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA).