About CBM International in DRC
CBM is an international Christian development organisation, committed to improving the quality of life of people with disabilities in the poorest communities of the world. Based on its Christian values and over 100 years of professional expertise, CBM addresses poverty as a cause and a consequence of disability and works in partnership to create an inclusive society for all.
CBM’s DRC office is located in the capital, Kinshasa with an outreach project in Goma. The core focus areas in the DRC are technical competence in eye health, Community Based Inclusive Development (CBID) and Community Health.
About the Role
The Country Director will provide strategic leadership, and ensure high-quality programme quality. They will foster two-way accountability and identify new partnership opportunities by promoting the organisation and its mission with local partners and authorities, and by maintaining a positive organisational public profile. The Country Director also will lead advocacy efforts as part of the strategic plan to influence the national inclusive development policy agenda and provide quality and timeous project information and content to support CBM’s internal and external communication.
This role will provide leadership while building the capacity of all in-country staff and partners. The Country Director will manage relationships with CBM partner organisations and relevant in-country government ministries, and strengthen accountability by ensuring that partners and programmes meet CBM standards, principles and specific donor requirements. Furthermore, the role will ensure financial compliance according to local financial regulations, those of CBM International and improve accountability and efficient use of funding by partners and the country office. The Country Director will also manage all aspects of the CBM safeguarding policy and enforce this with all colleagues and partners.
Duties and Responsibilities
As the Country Director for the DRC you will:
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of the country plan’s programmatic and organisational priorities.
- Ensure compliance with CBM’s finance standards, maintenance of management controls for accountability and efficient use of funding, by partners and by the country office.
- Ensure in-country compliance by the country office and partner programmes with statutory, legal, fiscal and procurement policies and reporting requirements, and relevant donor requirements.
- Lead the development, implementation and monitoring of the advocacy components of the country plan to influence the national inclusive development policy agenda.
- Promote the organisation and its mission to local partners and authorities and maintain a positive organisational public profile.
- Support and facilitate member association and regional hub fundraising resource collection teams in the country.
- Provide leadership to national and expatriate staff in the country office and those seconded to partners, through performance management, coaching, delegating, and personal development measures.
- Demonstrate inclusive practices to promote disability and gender equality within the country office team; model and enable the inclusion of persons with disability in all aspects of work of the country office and promote the same with partners.
Skills and Experience
- Professional experience at senior management level in a large INGO or international development organisation with a strong track record in successful and effective leadership management.
- Professional experience in the field of social inclusion or with persons with disabilities would be an advantage
- Significant experience in organisational development, change management and capacity building.
- Proficiency and proven experience in financial management, systems and controls, including institutional grant management.
- Proven skills in advocacy with a track record of building and managing effective partnerships and strategic alliances, and influencing policy change.
- Excellent people and team management skills.
- Fluent in spoken and written English and French.