About CBM International
CBM is an international Christian development organisation, committed to improving the quality of life of people with disabilities in the poorest communities of the world.
Based on its Christian values and over 100 years of professional expertise, CBM addresses poverty as a cause and a consequence of disability, and works in partnership to create an inclusive society for all.
Purpose of the Role
To grow and strengthen CBM in Tanzania by providing leadership to develop and implement CBM’s strategy in the country, and leadership and management for the CBM country office and its network of partner relationships.
About the Role
The Country Director Tanzania will provide leadership in the development and implementation of the CBM country strategic plan, along with its programmatic and organisational priorities. They will manage relationships with CBM partner organisations, foster two way accountability and identify new partnership opportunities.
The Country Director will ensure high programme quality strengthening and accountability as well as getting partners and programmes to work to CBM standards and principles, as well as specific donor requirements.
The Country Director is to lead the development, implementation and monitoring of the advocacy components of the country plan to influence the national inclusive development policy agenda.
The Country Director will promote the organization and its mission to local partners and authorities, maintaining a positive organisational public profile and providing quality and timely project information and content to support CBM’s internal and external communication, allowing Member Associations to demonstrate impact in their donor communication.
Essential to this role is providing leadership to national and expatriate staff in the Country Office (as well as those seconded to partners) through coaching, delegating, and personal development. Staff development plans which enhance organisational performance and individual development will also be established.
Ensuring compliance with CBM finance standards, and that management controls are maintained and improved for accountability and efficient use of funding by partners and by the Country Office are just as much task of the Country Manager as identifying and elevating critical audit and control findings, as well as supporting the implementation of recommended actions.
Duties and Responsibilities
As the Country Director for Tanzania you will:
- Develop and implement the CBM country plan in line with CBM’s mission,vision and strategy.
- Plan, develop and maintain a portfolio of quality partnerships and programmes which are in compliance with CBM standards.
- Analyse country specific policies and trends.
- Conduct effective external advocacy.
- Develop and maintain relationships across the CBM Federation and with various external stakeholders.
- Effectively line manage a team of currently five staff.
- Manage budgets and costs accurately.
- Where possible, tap into in-country funding sources.
- Promote CBM’s values and culture within the office and its national environment and uphold a positive organisational profile.
Skills and Experience
- Professional experience at senior management level in a medium sized INGO or international development organisation with a strong track record in providing effective leadership and management.
- Professional capability in the field of social inclusion.
- Capability in strategic planning, project cycle management, organisational development, change management and capacity building.
- Able to advocate, to build and manage effective partnerships and strategic alliances, and able to drive policy change.
- Excellent people and team management skills (motivating, empowering, coaching, delegating, team development).
- Excellent knowledge of financial, accounting and budget management
- Interpersonal, negotiation, and communication skills including: ability to establish focus, implement strategies, manage conflict.
- Fluent in written and spoken English, knowledge of local languages is an asset.