CBM International addresses poverty as a cause and a consequence of disability and works in partnership to create an inclusive society for all. As the Head Programmes for Neglected Tropical Diseases, you will lead and develop the global team’s capacity to implement organisational strategy and serve as an ambassador and relationship builder for CBM’s global work. You are a mission-driven leader who is highly experienced in programme management with deep knowledge of the technical aspects of neglected tropical diseases.
CBM is an international Christian development organisation, committed to improving the quality of life of people with disabilities in the poorest communities of the world. The emphasis throughout CBM’s work is on local capacity development in poorer regions of the world. This increases service delivery in the fields of healthcare, education, rehabilitation and livelihood development as well as organisational development of partner organisations.
About the Role
The Head of NTD Programmes is responsible for leading the NTD team, providing direction and ensuring the effective functioning of the team in support of the resourcing, management, coordination of monitoring, and implementation of CBM’s Neglected Tropical Diseases programmes. They are also responsible for contributing technical and strategic advice to CBM’s NTD programme development. The role is part of the CBM International’s NTD team which sits within the Inclusive Eye Health Initiative and will work with CBM Country Offices, Regional Hubs. CBM’s particular focus is the work on trachoma and onchocerciasis.
Purpose of the Role
Acts in the role of Lead Project Manager in a dedicated technical project in a large country or multi-country role (usually more than USD 10 million in size):
- Leads, manages and supervises a project’s administrative, financial, technical and operational aspects
- Responsible for compliance with the organization’s programme quality standards, as well as government aid, organization’s administrative and financial requirements
- Acts as primary programme contact to donor and other local and international stakeholders
- Ensures vision and plans for the programmes are innovative and are aligned with the agency and donor programme strategies
Duties and Responsibilities
- Giving strategic direction by:
- Actively contributing to the development, regular revision, monitoring and evaluation of CBM’s overall NTD strategy.
- Assisting the development and review of regional NTD strategies and country planning processes.
- Providing team management by:
- Developing implementation plans and managing the NTD Programmes team in fulfilling these plans and reporting against them.
- Manage direct report staff and provide clear direction to team members.
- Coordinating programme development:
- Development of trachoma, onchocerciasis and lymphatic filariasis (LF) programmes.
- Monitor NTD programme implementation, and ensure timely reporting to specific donor requirements.
- Providing technical support by:
- Collaborating with the eye care advisors and medical eye health advisory working group on the technical aspects of programme development and implementation.
- Coordinate the development of NTD programme concepts and proposals.
- Networking and Communications:
- Contributing to identify advocacy priorities.
- Engaging with, support and influence relevant stakeholders at global, regional and national levels in support of inclusive and comprehensive NTD work.
Skills and Experience
- Degree in Community Development, Social Science, Public Health, Tropical Medicine or equivalent knowledge gained through working expertise
- Practical work experience in any of the above areas and in development cooperation, including 5-10 years in a developing country
- At least 5 years proven work experience in NTD related programmes
- Sound understanding of international trends and standards in trachoma, onchocerciasis and NTD work
- Experience in networking, advocacy and influencing with global networks and stakeholders, ideally in the NTD field.
- Good financial management skills
- Proven management and leadership skills
- Strong numeracy with experience of data management
- Experience in proposal writing and budgeting
- Excellent communication and mediation skills
- Experience in relevant operational research
- Experience in teaching, training, coaching and supportive supervision of relevant cadres
- Fluent in English with good working knowledge of French an advantage
- Knowledge of German, Portuguese and/or Arabic desirable