Next year will be a landmark year for the ChildFund Alliance, with the high-level forum on the Sustainable Development Goals; the 30th anniversary of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child; and ChildFund’s association with the world’s third-largest sporting event; the Rugby World Cup in 2019. This period will be an opportunity to produce compelling communications and content; including an advocacy publication in March 2019 and social media output across the Alliance and its Members during key moments.
About ChildFund Alliance
ChildFund Alliance is a network of 11 child-focused development organizations working in more than 60 countries around the world. The Alliance helps more than 14 million children and their families to overcome poverty. Each member organization promotes child sponsorship to create child-focused, community-based development programs in areas where children are impacted by war, natural disaster, poverty and global health issues. ChildFund works in partnership with local communities and the participation of children is a key component of their approach.
The ChildFund Alliance Secretariat oversees the day-to-day operations of the Alliance. It develops and works with members to implement Alliance-wide strategy, standards and policies. The Secretariat represents the Alliance at international forums such as the United Nations and the European Union.
About the Role
The person will develop and implement the communications and digital strategy for the Alliance; provide quality assurance for all Secretariat communications, public relations messaging and collateral related to ChildFund Alliance’s mission. Working closely with advocacy and program staff, this person will ensure that ChildFund Alliance is viewed as a primary source, disseminator and conduit of information on ending the abuse, exploitation, trafficking, torture, and all other forms of violence against children.
Purpose of the Role
The Communications and Digital Strategist reports to the Secretary-General. The person provides leadership for the communications functions of the ChildFund Alliance Secretariat, working closely with a senior peer group as the organization’s communications partner on the Alliance’s strategic initiatives and champions consistent branding.
As a member of the Secretariat, the person will help enhance ChildFund Alliance’s global presence as a thought leader on child protection and the prevention of violence against children, serving communications teams in member organizations and sharing information with them. They will also represent the Secretariat on the Communications and Marketing Committee.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead all of the Secretariat’s communications functions; including the communications budget, the Alliance’s communications plan, and quality control and brand adherence for the Secretariat and Alliance members.
- Provide support to the Secretary-General in her role as Chief Advocate for the Alliance.
- Work with colleagues in member organizations (including the Alliance EU Office) across communications, marketing, programs and advocacy to identify and create new communications opportunities and activities.
- Support the “ChildRights Now” global progress report as a member of the inter-NGO group “Joining Forces for Children”, which includes Save the Children, Plan and SOS Children’s Villages International.
- Co-lead the production of ChildFund Alliance research studies, white papers and articles.
- Lead the Alliance’s communications input on external reports, such as those produced in collaboration with other child-focused agencies.
- Help direct and shape the Small Voices, Big Dreams survey of children.
- Oversee the ChildFund Alliance website, ensuring content is current and engaging, and liaising with the web designer on-site maintenance and revisions.
- Develop, distribute and maintain all print and electronic collateral, including newsletters, brochures, blogs and presentations.
- Work with the advocacy and policy advisor to produce collateral related to the advocacy strategy, including monthly updates; handbooks; toolkits; Q&A documents; sample letters and press releases; talking points.
- Write, edit, design and disseminate fact sheets and other publications that further the mission of the Alliance.
- Develop, implement and evaluate the ChildFund Alliance social media strategy across the network’s discrete audiences in collaboration with the Alliance Secretariat, leadership team, select members and constituents.
- Provide communications leadership for ChildFund Alliance events, including report and project launches, as well as supporting proposal development.
- Support Working Groups, Task Forces, and Committees to disseminate information on key initiatives.
- Develop relationships with peers in the industry to share information and gain knowledge and skills and cultivate relationships with media to increase ChildFund Alliance’s profile and influence.
- Attend meetings at the UN and other relevant forums.
Skills and Experience
- Strategy: Strategic communicator with proven ability to leverage opportunities such as the key moments in 2019. Track record in leading communications in support of advocacy goals. Able to identify and create new communications opportunities and activities.
- Communications: Excellent writing and communication skills and track record in publicly promoting an organization. Experience liaising with media and leveraging a consistent brand across a complex organizational network.
- Digital: Experience managing websites, integrating social media tools, and creating engaging content. Experience liaising with technical service providers; knowledge of Joomla is an advantage.
- Team collaboration: Takes initiative and proactively collaborates with member colleagues in communications and marketing, programs and advocacy. Demonstrates diplomacy, patience and compromise, with an ability to work and coordinate at high and low levels.
- Commitment: Strongly committed to and motivated by Childfund’s aims. Experience working in the field of child protection and human rights is an advantage.
This position is open to candidates who can be based and work in the New York City office of ChildFund Alliance. The right to work in the USA is required.