Crossroads International is a leading Canadian volunteer cooperation agency advancing equality for women and girls and eradicating poverty in some of the world’s poorest countries. As Executive Director, you will lead the organisation through its next growth phase, positioning it for increased influence and strategic alliances in Canada and beyond. You are an experienced nonprofit leader committed to advancing gender equality, with strong networks and a sound knowledge of the international development landscape.
About Crossroads International
Crossroads International is a leading Canadian volunteer cooperation agency advancing equality for women and girls and eradicating poverty in some of the world’s poorest countries in Africa and South America. The organization works to create a more equitable and sustainable world by engaging and strengthening individuals, organizations and communities through mutual learning, solidarity and collective action.
Every year, Crossroads International engages more than one hundred experienced volunteers and staff, from the North and South, who apply their expertise locally to address poverty and inequality. Crossroads invests in local partners who are best positioned to meet the needs of their communities. With them, Crossroads pilots innovative approaches that create decent jobs and that empower women and girls to become leaders and live free from violence.
Crossroads is a registered charity, supported by Global Affairs Canada (GAC); Ministère des Relations internationales et de la Francophonie du Québec; other non-government funders; and many individual donors around the world.
About the Role
The Executive Director will lead a dynamic and growing international cooperation agency with overseas partners in Bolivia, Burkina Faso, Ghana, Senegal, eSwatini (former Swaziland), Tanzania and Togo. The person will be a visionary leader with a strong commitment to the advancement of women’s rights globally. A vocal champion, the Executive Director will establish new programs and strategic alliances in Canada and abroad to complement and enhance Crossroads’ volunteer cooperation program and diversify the organization’s funding model. A leader who is driven, forward-thinking and results-oriented, he or she will manage three National Directors, a professional team of 25, an annual budget of $4.5 million, and approximately 100 international volunteer exchanges annually. He/she will also liaise with Crossroads NGO partners on the ground.
Skills and Experience
You will be expected to demonstrate:
- External Leadership: Experience, vision and ambition to strategically position the organization for continued growth and influence in Canada.
- Internal Leadership: Experience managing and developing a cross-functional senior team, building relationships and enabling a collaborative team environment. Demonstrated ability to provide consistency and stability for the organization through planning and sound oversight into finance, HR and other operations.
- Program Strategy: Demonstrated international development experience, leading across cultures, ideally including program experience in Africa. Experience liaising with donors and institutional funders such as Global Affairs Canada. Knowledge of voluntary cooperation is an advantage.
- Networking & Business Development: Brings an understanding of the international development landscape and philanthropic opportunities in Canada. Experience building alliances and new partnerships for growth and diversification.
- Mission-Driven: Demonstrated commitment to the elimination of poverty and equality for girls and women.
It will be essential for the role-holder to:
- have strong communication skills in English AND French
- be eligible to work in Canada
- travel overseas and within Canada