About The Berlin Civil Society Center
Over the past five years the Berlin Civil Society Center has established itself as the joint platform of the world’s leading civil society organisations (CSOs). The Centre’s aim is to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of global CSOs by bringing together the most important actors, facilitating communication and enabling cooperation.
Events like Vision Works – the global Chairs and CEOs meeting and Global Perspectives have become fixed dates in the calendars of key leaders in the civil society sector. Moreover the Center provides services to collective CSO projects like running the secretariat for the International NGO Accountability Charter.
Organisations like Amnesty International, CBM International, ChildFund Alliance, Oxfam International, Plan International, Sightsavers International, SOS Children’s Villages International, Transparency International, World Vision International and WWF International are regular participants in the Center’s events and programmes and play a key role in defining and forming the Center’s activities.
The Center has exclusively retained the services of Mission Talent to search for the Deputy Executive Director to join a highly motivated team working against tight deadlines striving to fulfil its ambitions of excellence and impact in the sector.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Deputy Executive Director will support the Executive Director with the running of the Berlin Civil Society Center. Main tasks will include the following:
- Providing overall day-to-day management of the Center;
- Overseeing the Center’s finance, administration and human resources;
- Developing strategies for the Center and concepts for workshops, shared services and other activities;
- Hands-on involvement in running the Center’s workshops in close cooperation with the Project Manager;
- Cooperation with Board Chairs and Board Members, CEOs and Senior Managers of leading civil society organisations worldwide;
- Preparation and follow up of the Center’s Board and Shareholders Meetings in close cooperation with the Executive Director;
- Preparation of the quarterly shareholders updates;
- Deputising for the Executive Director in his absence;
- Other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director.
The Center Offers
- Leadership role in the development of a young and ambitious organisation;
- Working with and learning from the leaders of the world’s best known civil society organisations;
- The opportunity to make an impact on key areas concerning the future of the sector;
- A team oriented and international work environment;
- Highly motivated, enthusiastic colleagues;
- A full time permanent contract (probation period is 6 months).
- A minimum of 10 years of professional experience in the not-for-profit or for-profit world;
- Solid management and administration experience;
- Experience leading teams and overseeing staff development;
- Sound understanding of the challenges CSOs are facing;
- Strategic thinking and ability to develop and draft concepts for the Center;
- Willingness to play deputy role, combined with the ambition to take on leader ship role;
- Good networker with contacts in the sector;
- Ambitious and hardworking, prepared to work long hours if required;
- Diligent, reliable and focused, team player;
- Self-starter, striving for excellence, preparedness to take on responsibility for optimal delivery;
- Multilingual with fluency in English; basic German is desirable.