About Greenpeace International
Greenpeace exists because this fragile earth deserves a voice. It needs solutions. It needs change. It needs action. Some people look at a forest, and all they see is lumber. But there are millions more who see a home, a heritage, a future. Around the globe, Greenpeace is standing up for our communities and is holding governments and corporations accountable. Whether on the streets or at the ballot box, we hold the real power when we work together.
Greenpeace believes that optimism is a form of courage. That a billion acts of courage can spark a brighter tomorrow. To that end, it models courage, champions courage, shares stories of courageous acts by supporters and allies, and invites people out of their comfort zones to take courageous action, individually in their daily lives, and in community with others who share a commitment to a better world.
Purpose of the Role
The Global Engagement Department ensures that priority National and Regional Organisations (NROs) deliver the engagement strategy and are well-positioned to meet the objectives of the long-term Global Framework through people-powered campaigning in order to:
- Inspire, mobilise and engage millions of people to campaign alongside Greenpeace.
- Reach and empower a wider segment of society to be directly involved in Greenpeace’s work.
- Deepen supporters’ engagement with, and contributions to, Greenpeace’s campaigns and vision.
The Head of Engagement Support ensures the delivery of the Global Engagement Strategy by leading the development of engagement tools and strategies and identifying best practices in Greenpeace engagement approach. They lead a team providing specialist support to priority National and Regional Organisations, Global Campaigns and Communities of practices to ensure that best practice in this area is captured and implemented and that we are monitoring our global performance and adapting strategies and plans accordingly.
Duties and Responsibilities
Global Engagement Strategy
- As a senior member of the GPI team, contribute to the (on-going) development, review and refinement of organisational strategies, especially those connected to engagement, in order to achieve Greenpeace’s long-term vision.
- Collaborate across the Global Engagement Department to ensure the integration of communications, mobilisation, volunteering and fundraising /growth objectives into joint engagement goals.
- Lead, advise and support in an environment of change where innovation and sharing of ideas and best practices are encouraged, in line with Greenpeace’s values.
Engagement Support Strategy
- Lead the development of a holistic strategy and approach to supporter engagement.
- Identify and map internal strengths and organizational needs. Continue to develop and evolve for impact.
- Ensure the establishment of ambitious strategies and targets for first engagement levels, to extend our reach, supporter journey development to deepen our supporter relationships and open engagement to enable supporter leadership.
- Analyze individual team goals and direction and ensure that practices align with global objectives and other departments.
Leadership and Management
- Lead, manage and develop the Engagement Support team to ensure their effective performance through objective and priority setting, performance reviews, coaching, training and development in order to deliver expert advice and guidance to National and Regional Organisations and global campaign teams.
- Encourage and facilitate practical integration across engagement teams (fundraising, mobilisation, volunteering, digital, communications).
- Develop and manage the Engagement Support budget according to agreed objectives and the priorities of the team, in order to ensure cost-effectiveness and strategic expenditure of allocated funds.
- Monitor the work of the First and Open Engagement teams, in order to encourage and share innovative approaches and to overcome challenges to implementation.
- Collaborate with the Engagement Strategy and Planning and Storytelling teams to better understand our supporters, their motivations and interests.
- Collect and distil existing supporter research and conduct new research as necessary. Ensure that findings are actioned and that a supporter responsive approach is developed across the Greenpeace Network.
- Collaborate with the GPI Programme Team to ensure a multidisciplinary approach to the Global Programme and alignment in supporting NRO and projects in achieving Global Campaigns.
Best Practice and Knowledge Management
- Ensure that National and Regional Organisations have access to global best practices and expertise required to deliver their national strategies.
- Champion innovative engagement approaches within the organisation for sharing across the Greenpeace movement.
- Identify gaps in knowledge or capacity within priority National and Regional Organisations, respond to Global Campaign Leader requests for expertise, and secure specialist support as required.
- Build strong working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders within and outside of the Greenpeace Network in order to represent Greenpeace’s interests and to realize effective cooperation and sharing of knowledge.
Skills and Experience
- 7+ years of senior leadership experience of which a minimum of 4 years should be at Director or equivalent level.
- A track record of delivering ambitious public/supporter engagement strategies, and a deep understanding of multiple engagement techniques.
- Experience in working with multicultural senior staff and teams and across borders.
- Experience in implementing and bringing about significant positive changes in work culture, practices and performance.
- Exceptional influencing skills – the ability to lead diverse teams to achieve agreed goals and to drive change without direct authority.
- Highly developed analytical skills and a strong understanding of organisational development and business planning.
- Strong management skills – the ability to build, lead and manage great teams. Excellent negotiation, communication and presentation skills.
- Fluent written and spoken English.
- Experience in working effectively to very tight deadlines and under stressful conditions.
- Willingness to travel.