National Association Director
This is an unusual opportunity for an experienced and driven manager to translate Handicap International’s global strategy into the German context. You will grow HI’s brand and lead the teams in Berlin and Munich through the next steps of the organisational change, as well as influencing, networking and increasing their resources for the global fight against poverty and exclusion.
About Handicap International Germany
Handicap International Germany is part of the global Humanity & Inclusion (HI) organisation and is an independent charity working in situations of poverty, exclusion, conflict and disaster. They work tirelessly alongside disabled and vulnerable people to help meet their basic needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
HI is organised as a federation of eight national associations: Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Luxembourg, Switzerland, UK and USA. Together, they mobilise resources from private and public donors and mutualise their operations into projects in 55 countries all over the world to support disabled and vulnerable people.
About the Role
The National Association Director (NAD) Germany will be responsible for the development and growth of the German branch of HI. Based in Munich or Berlin, the NAD will manage both offices and all staff in Germany, growing the team and its capacity.
The NAD will continue to lead the implementation of HI’s 2016-2025 strategy in Germany, including the global re-branding that began in January 2018.
Purpose of the Role
The NAD helps define the federal network’s joint strategy and implement its mandate.
The NAD develops HI’s national office in line with HI’s 2016-2025 strategy, with a particular focus on meeting private fundraising objectives and mobilising the resources needed for operating and implementing HI’s operational mandate.
The NAD is responsible for the day-to-day management of the German offices, ensuring the performance of the German team.
The NAD ensures that the German team complies with the principles of the global HI organisation and that the functional relations between staff in Germany and their contacts with the rest of HI satisfy defined operating procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Draw up a multi-annual development plan in coordination with other concerned divisions, and in line with HI’s 2016-2025 strategy.
- Management and supervision of teams in the Munich and Berlin offices
- Lead the external representation and influence of Handicap International in Germany as part of the HI global organisation, growing the organisation’s brand, reach and means.
- Overall budget and financial responsibility, ensuring that a draft budget is developed by the national association’s activity managers in liaison with global colleagues.
- Manage relations and ambitions with the HQ in France, as well as engaging with other national associations and programme teams, collaborating and exchanging when possible, playing an active role in the International Committee of Directors (CODIR) and International Coordination Committee (CCI)
- Strengthen and ensure governance by assisting the NA’s chairperson to ensure that the proceedings and official documents related to national governance conform with the country’s laws on associations.
Skills and Experience
- Credentials in managing, organising and leading teams and offices;
- Change-management experience;
- Ability to make decisions and see them through;
- Experience in engagement and branding across a national market;
- Background in fundraising (private and public);
- Experience in implementing a global or regional strategy into a national context;
- Track record in building relationships and engaging stakeholders of various backgrounds;
- Working fluency in German and English, French desirable;
- Previous working experience in non-profit organisation;
- In accordance with German law, applicants with a disability will be preferred where all other factors are considered equal