About Investigate Europe
Started in 2016, Investigate Europe is a journalist cooperative from eleven European countries working towards a vision of journalism that identifies, analyses and reports on issues and policies without the usual national biases. Investigate Europe stands for a journalistic reporting on matters of Europe-wide relevance with scrutiny, dedication and time to point out responsible transnational structures and actors. It provides the people of Europe with a comprehensive picture to hold power accountable.
About the Role
Working with journalists and non-journalist staff, the Executive Director will also provide strategic guidance on organisational development for this young organisation and play a crucial part in running the organisation’s daily operation. They will also manage a multi-national team of dedicated individuals. Additionally, the Executive Director will represent Investigate Europe towards external stakeholders, including donors, networks, and strategic allies across Europe.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assess and further develop the organisation’s fundraising strategy and potential.
- Maintain and grow a network of relevant institutional donors and philanthropists and actively seek new fundraising avenues, particularly individual giving strategies.
- Develop the organisational strategy, offering a critical analysis of opportunities for Investigate Europe and its team, for its members/ subscribers and within its market and target audiences.
- Represent the organisation in interactions with prospective and existing funders and other key stakeholders.
- Create and maintain tools and systems that support fundraising efforts and reporting to support the organisation’s growth.
- Take responsibility for the organisation’s overall financial health and ensure that appropriate financial and auditing systems are in place to safeguard the organisation’s financial and other assets and ensure the organisation runs efficiently and effectively.
- Be responsible for the financial integrity of Investigate Europe and ensure accurate and timely financial processes and reports, and design and monitor the yearly budget.
- Provide strategic vision and leadership in the operations and the growth of the organisation.
- Support the Editorial Director in ensuring that all current and new funding options align with the organisation’s stated mission.
- Lead the implementation of organisational structures and systems to enhance change and growth and the management of the day-to-day operations.
- Together with the Editorial Director, establish a cohesive, multi-cultural team while bridging cultural and functional differences to enable synergies towards shared goals.
- Manage the outreach team and support them in designing and implementing a comprehensive outreach strategy aligned with the ongoing projects and the organisation’s growth.
- Directly responsible for three outreach and administrative colleagues.
Skills and Experience
- Highly motivated and experienced leader with wide-ranging management experience, including fundraising, operations, finance and human resources.
- Thorough understanding of and experience in seeking voluntary financial contributions by engaging individuals and charitable foundations and subscribers and developing and implementing successful fundraising strategies.
- Strong leadership personality, capable of guiding and inspiring others, bringing together individuals with strong personal commitment and easily and empathetically engaging with people from a wide range of backgrounds, cultures, and viewpoints.
- Understanding of the functioning of the European Union as well as current discourses and historical developments.
- Experience in developing and implementing strategic plans and playing a proactive role in identifying opportunities for growth and networking.
- Commitment to Investigate Europe’s core values and journalistic integrity.
- Fluent English.