Ipas is a global non-profit organization that works to achieve a world where every woman and girl has the right and the ability to determine her own sexuality and reproductive health. Working with local, national and global associations, Ipas seeks to ensure that women and girls have improved sexual and reproductive health and rights, with a focus on increased access to and use of safe abortion and contraceptive care.
Main Purpose of the Role
The Director of Ipas Mexico will be a committed and strong advocate for women’s sexual and reproductive health and is responsible for leading the country program, including setting and executing strategy. The Director serves as the leader of a professional team, contributing to planning and implementing a comprehensive program for women’s reproductive health and rights. The Director finalizes and approves strategies, annual operational plans, and proposals for new funding – as well as ensuring good stewardship and the sound administration of funds. They value high performance, efficiency, and innovation, keeping beneficiaries at the center of all activities. The Director is Ipas’ main representative in Mexico, working to maintain and grow Ipas’ leadership in reproductive health and rights, expanding results, and ensuring strong collaboration with national and state governments, partner organizations and donors.
- Team Leader, Health Systems
- Human Resources
- Community & Policy
- Serve as a leader and champion for sexual and reproductive health and rights in Mexico, and ensure strong programming to achieve the Ipas mission and vision.
- Design and direct a strategic plan at country level, aligned with the Ipas global strategic plan
- Lead and support a high performing team, cultivating a positive work culture based on the core values of Ipas.
- Represent Ipas, advocating for women’s sexual and reproductive health and rights in multiple forums.
- Build and maintain strong alliances with government, donors, health institutions, local organizations, media and other stakeholders.
- Contribute to the development and growth of the Mexico program, developing program ideas and establishing alliances at the country level.
Compliance and Stewardship
- Ensure sound program management and good stewardship of Ipas resources, using strong internal systems and controls and regular reviews of project performance .
- Ensure that country programming meets Ipas minimum standards and complies with national laws.
- A deep personal commitment to improve women’s sexual and reproductive health and rights, and a solid understanding of the Mexican context.
- Excellent representational skills—including communication and advocacy skills—particularly in the areas of sexual and reproductive health and rights, gender, human rights, public health, and related areas.
- Experience leading diverse and professional teams.
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with partners, especially government officials, local organizations and donors.
- Knowledge and experience supervising project support and management teams (including skills in project design, work plans, budgets, and monitoring).
Education and experience
- Master’s degree or higher in business, nonprofit management, public health, medicine, international development, gender equity, public policy, or related areas preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years of increasing responsibility in team leadership and program management.
- Previous experience as director or manager of a country program, preferably for an international NGO.
- Successful stewardship of funds and maintaining strong relationships with government and donor partners.
- Native Spanish speaker; Professional fluency in English preferred
- Mexican citizen preferred
- Travel: Up to 33% (domestic and international)