This important role offers the opportunity to be part of a growing team on the leading edge of providing innovative services for trafficked children in the US. The growing prominence of Love146 in their field means they need a capable and assured person to manage operations and systems across three states as the organization expands to around 60-70 staff in the next 5-6 years. Retention rates at Love146 are high and are attributed to a workplace culture centered on authenticity and positivity.
The Love146 vision is the abolition of child trafficking and exploitation—nothing less. As an international human rights organization it works to end child trafficking and exploitation through survivor care, prevention education, professional training and empowering movement. Slavery is still one of the darkest stories on our planet but for Love146, the hope of abolition is a reality. Love146 believes in helping grow the movement of abolition while providing effective, thoughtful solutions. Love146 believes in the power of Love and its ability to affect sustainable change. Love is the foundation of their motivation.
About the Role
The Director of Operations serves as the day-to-day leader for their U.S. operations in Connecticut, North Carolina and Texas. The Director of Operations is a mission-driven, strategic, and process-minded leader who leads the strengthening and growth of their U.S. based organization, all while operating within the values of Love146. This position oversees Operations staff including the Associate Director of Finance; Tech Manager; Operations Coordinator; the Reimagine Resale Manager and an Administrative Assistant, ensuring their strategic goals and objectives are implemented.
Purpose of the Role
Reporting to the CEO to provide essential operations and risk management for the Love146 organization. Leading a team of five staff, the person will be an essential member of the management team and will work closely with the CEO and directors to strengthen Love146’s existing operations and to lay the ground for sustainable growth in future.
Duties and Responsibilities
Operations Management (70%):
- Collaborate with the U.S. Directors in stewarding the three-year strategic plan, implementing relevant internal operations and approaches to achieve it and to prepare for the anticipated growth of the organization.
- Manage direct reports to ensure they meet departmental and personal professional goals and outcomes.
- Manage facility operations effectively across all US locations (New Haven, Charlotte, and Houston), reporting any identified areas of improvement to the CEO.
- Develop and manage an annual operations plan and budget along with a quarterly written report for the CEO
- Oversee overall financial management, planning, systems, and controls.
- Manage the organization’s budget in coordination with the Associate Director of Finance.
- Manage the Tech Manager to deliver on annual plan, budget management, and deliverables.
- In coordination with the Tech Manager, plan for strategic additions and enhancements for technology needs and growth.
- Serve as direct report for the Reimagine Resale Manager, ensuring financial and operational goals are met.
- Manage high-level operations for the Reimagine Resale store facilities (https://love146.org/reimagine/), assessing requests for Reimagine Resale store expansion/expenses outside of the approved budget.
- Visit the Reimagine Resale store and staff quarterly, and join the Texas Regional Advisory Board meetings.
Risk Management (30%):
- Manage a register of pro-bono and discounted legal counsel.
- Review all contracts before signature.
- Seek to mitigate risk to the organization.
- Oversee charity watchdog groups and state registrations/renewals.
- Oversee organizational insurance policies.
- Manage the process of regular compliance audits.
- Develop and provide appropriate US-based policy recommendations for consideration by the CEO and Board, ensuring the required training on policies takes place.
Qualifications and Experience
- Undergraduate degree required; MBA or similar advanced degree highly desired
- 7-10 years experience in the NGO field preferred
- Experience managing cross-cultural teams and/or staff is required
- Demonstrated successful Financial Management experience
- Commitment to social justice and the mission
- Demonstrated leadership and vision in managing staff groups and major projects or initiatives
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards and a diverse workplace
- Knowledge of tax and other compliance implications of the organization’s non-profit status
Knowledge and Skills
- An appreciation for the opportunities arising from (and the disadvantages of) new technologies and services
- A general understanding of web-based applications (e.g. Salesforce)
- Budget development and oversight experience
- Knowledge and experience working in social services. An in-depth knowledge of the Human Trafficking issue is an advantage.
- Has the necessary resilience to support work in an anti-trafficking organization.
- Demonstrated ability to manage remote employees
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to lead in a team environment
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and work efficiently
- Able to exercise the highest level of judgment and discretion in completing assignments
- Excellent critical thinking skills
- Complex problem solving skills
- Generational savvy
- Stress tolerance
- Organizational systems analysis and evaluation ability
- Conflict management skills
- Personnel management skills
- Financial and material (resource) management skills
The person will spend time performing computer operations, which requires intense mental and visual concentration and eye-hand coordination. Regular interaction in round table meetings will be a daily experience. The working location is a busy, open office area with regular interruptions which may cause stress. The person is required to deal with a wide variety of people on various issues in various locations around the globe. Up to 4 weeks travel within the US a year is required.
Love146 is an Equal Opportunity Employer.