About Oxfam International
One person in three in the world lives in poverty. Oxfam is determined to change that world by mobilizing the power of people against poverty. Around the globe, Oxfam works to find practical, innovative ways for people to lift themselves out of poverty and thrive. Oxfam saves lives and helps rebuild livelihoods when crisis strikes. And Oxfam campaigns so that the voices of the poor influence the local and global decisions that affect them.
Deputy to the Director of Campaigns and Advocacy; the successful candidate will lead the development and implementation of Oxfam’s campaigning through line management and oversight of Oxfam’s three worldwide public-facing campaigns. This post also coordinates Oxfam’s global digital campaigning, and manages the co-ordination and strategic leadership of Oxfam’s global private sector work. The position deputizes for the Director where required.
Director of Campaigns and Advocacy, Brussels
1. Worldwide Public-Facing Campaigns leadership and management:
- Responsible for leadership of Oxfam’s campaigns, including research, policy, advocacy, media and popular mobilisation for all priority public-facing campaigns. Ensures that Oxfam maximises its impact through clear models of change, smart objectives and priorities, linking local to global, contributing to Worldwide Influencing Network (WIN) and the one program approach, political and financial viability, optimal use of limited resources, and good collaboration with partners and allies.
- Responsible for managing implementation of agreed plans in relation to both public facing campaigns, including resource allocation, risk management, dialogue with allies etc.
- Chairs cross-campaign management team which agrees on shared strategies for strengthening Oxfam’s public-facing campaigns (i.e. Resource allocation, training, gender mainstreaming, monitoring evaluation and learning etc).
- Ensures key products, such as reports, papers, creative design and others are delivered.
- Responsible for OI global public-facing campaigns budgets.
- Provides support to OI Advocacy and Campaigns Director and Executive Director as needed.
2. Support WIN implementation through digital campaigning coordination and project management:
- Responsible for developing Oxfam’s global strategy on digital mobilization
- Responsible for implementation of this strategy, including:
- Learn, share, and pilot best practices
- Invest in building global capacity for rapid topical mobilization
- Increase scale, reach and impact through topical mobilization
- Enable Oxfam’s partners and networks
3. Management of OI Advocacy and Campaigns staff:
- Manages Heads of Global Public-facing Campaigns
- Manages digital campaign lead
- Manages the advocacy and campaign administrative assistant
4. Strategic coordination of alliance/movement building and global events:
- Ensures alliance building strategies and coordination are in place for each of Oxfam’s three global public-facing campaigns.
- Ensures that Oxfam has appropriate strategies, resource allocations, teams and risk management plans for priority global events such as the UN Summits.
5. Fundraising for Global Public-facing Campaigns:
- Leading development of campaign fundraising strategies and actions for Oxfam’s three global campaigns.
- Project management of the OI Campaign Fundraising manager.
Key Working Relationships
- OI Advocacy and Campaigns Director
- OI Program Director
- OI Executive Director
- Deputy Director-research, policy development and advocacy offices
- Deputy Director-G20, BRICSAM, southern influencing and confederation development
- Oxfam International Campaign Leads and Coordinators
- OI Media Manager
- Affiliate Campaign and Communication Directors
- OI Campaigns Group members
- OI Campaign fundraising manager
- Strong advocacy and campaigns experience including digital campaigning
- Strong strategic and analytical skills relevant to campaign design
- Good knowledge of international politics and political processes
- Knowledge and experience of working with and / or influencing private sector
- Experience in working in campaign alliances
- Track record in process coordination in networks
- High people and process management skills including mediation/arbitration
- Proven project design/management abilities
- Proven management ability
- Previous involvement in leading or coordinating international campaigns at a senior level and/or national/regional campaigning in the south. Familiar with policy development and campaigns working in an international context
- Excellent working knowledge across a wide range of development issues
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and gender issues as well as commitment to the principles of equal opportunity is essential. Experience of a diverse work environment would be desirable
- Fluent English is essential. Knowledge of French and Spanish would be useful
- Commitment to the aims and objectives of Oxfam International