About Oxfam Mexico
Oxfam Mexico is a national organization that belongs to the Oxfam international confederation of 17 organizations working together with partners and local communities in México and in more than 90 countries.
Oxfam Mexico works in the country to find practical, innovative ways for people to lift themselves out of poverty and thrive. Oxfam Mexico saves lives and helps rebuild livelihoods when crisis strikes. The organisation campaigns so that the voices of the poor influence the local and global decisions that affect them. Oxfam Mexico works with partner organizations and alongside vulnerable women and men to end the injustices that cause poverty.
Oxfam Mexico structure is made up of around 30 permanent positions in Mexico organized into 3 departments and the Executive Direction: Development and Campaigns, Income Generation and Finance and Administration. All of their directors are part of the Senior Management Team (SMT).
Around 53 million people live today in poverty in Mexico. Oxfam Mexico is determined to change that situation by mobilizing the power of people against poverty.
Purpose of Position
- Run and represent the organization’s work in Mexico and be responsible, with the support of the Board of Directors, for expanding its impact, effectiveness and capacity.
- Lead a team of approximately 30 people, mainly based in Mexico.
- Responsible for cultivating good working relationships and generating alliances with government bodies, civil society organizations, funding bodies, the private sector and other strategic allies.
- Serve as a member of the Board of Executive Directors of Oxfam International and perform a proactive, dynamic role in Oxfam International forums.
- Provide strategic direction and leadership.
- Be impact and results-driven.
- Promote innovation and learning.
- Ensure financial health and fulfillment of institutional purpose, goals and values.
- Exercise a collaborative and collegial style with the operational team and the Board of Directors.
- Foster group cohesion and permanent improvement.
- Enable OM to help reach its vision of a world free of injustice and poverty, from a rights-based approach and through active citizenship.
- Identify opportunities to drive the growth of a healthy, vibrant and sustainable organization that effectively contributes to Oxfam International’s principles and values.
- Monitor and administer the organization’s risk scenarios and intervene in a timely manner to prevent and address serious risks as they arise.
- Lead the operational team to compose a cohesive, consistent, committed and responsible body.
- Run the organization in accordance with institutional processes and policies, under the strategic direction and decisions of the Board of Directors.
- Be accountable to the OM Board of Directors, guaranteeing that this body has access to all necessary information to chart a visionary strategy, thus allowing it to fulfill its responsibilities of governance.
- Represent OM as an effective leader and communicator through messages in the media.
- Ensure functioning of reporting, monitoring and administrative processes, as well as identify strategic priorities.
- Lead institutional efforts for appropriate accountability to society, funding institutions, the Oxfam International Confederation and different strategic allies.
- Supervise OM fundraising (with an annual budget over 30 million pesos).
- Guarantee compliance with OM financial management policies and all legal requirements.
- Guarantee effective planning, availability of resources, as well as efficient and effective administrative and financial supervision.
- Ensure that the organization’s program have adequate and efficient financial backing in accordance with pre-defined parameters.
- Develop projections, annual budgets and multiannual budgets in accordance with the parameters and policies determined by the Board of Directors.
- Develop, implement and make adjustments to the OM Strategic Plan, previously approved by the Board of Directors.
- Guarantee formulation, implementation and adjustments to policies for all activities carried out by the organization.
- Guarantee formulation, implementation and adjustments to the organization’s development, advocacy and humanitarian action programs.
- Steer the work of all programs by results and impact-oriented aims.
- Guarantee recruitment, incorporation and retention of a highly skilled team.
- Ensure that the organization has the necessary resources and competencies to fully fulfill its goals and objectives.
- Guarantee that OM human resource management complies with all contractual and legal obligations in regards to security and health, principles for child safety, gender equality and diversity, equal opportunities, and the health and welfare of all collaborators.
- Encourage opportunities for the professional development of the OM team and volunteers.
- Guarantee compliance with the organization’s security, communications and institutional representation protocols.
- Represent the organization in coordinating bodies/spaces with Oxfam International, guaranteeing the fulfillment of agreements.
- Represent the organization in high level spaces of authority and decision making at both a national and international level.
- Participate as an official spokesperson for the organization with the media.
- Lead a broad and effective effort to build networks and relationships with different strategic allies, including the government, other civil society organizations, the media, social movements and the private sector.
- Finance, Administration and Human Resources Director.
- Development and Advocacy Director.
- Income Generation Director.
- Communications Manager.
- Assistant to the Executive Director.
Skills & Qualifications
- A minimum of Masters Degree in social science or related discipline.
- Fluency in written and spoken Spanish and English is essential.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the social sector.
- Experience in design, development and implementation of institutional development strategies.
- Experience in team management.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in resource mobilization.
- Ability to identify and understand the factors that influence good collective performance and personal development.
- Ability to manage complex processes of change.
- Knowledge and understanding of the complex and diverse factors that have an impact on poverty, iniquity, marginalization and vulnerability.
- Knowledge of the necessary factors to activate transformational change in society.
- Ability to lead and promote collective leadership in the sphere of civil society in Mexico and globally.
- Ability to build and promote effective relationships both within and outside of the organization.
- Outstanding abilities of verbal and written communication.
- Political analysis.
- Solid integration and leadership of executive and operational teams.
- Ability for consultation, negotiation and intermediation.
- Commitment to responsible financial performance and decision making.
- Unyielding commitment to transparency and accountability.
- Commitment to Oxfam International’s purpose and principles.
- Strong driver of change in agreement with Oxfam International’s purpose and principles.
- Strategic, enterprising and innovative attitude.
- Enthusiasm for supporting and promoting Oxfam’s values and principles.
- Sensibility and commitment to the rights based approach and to inclusive, participatory processes.
- Availability to travel nationally and internationally.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted. Mission Talent Interviews are taking place on 28/29 April 2015.