Head of Grow Campaign
About Oxfam International
One person in three in the world lives in poverty. Oxfam is determined to change that world by mobilizing the power of people against poverty. Around the globe, Oxfam works to find practical, innovative ways for people to lift themselves out of poverty and thrive. Oxfam saves lives and helps rebuild livelihoods when crisis strikes. And Oxfam campaigns so that the voices of the poor influence the local and global decisions that affect them.
The GROW campaign is about transforming the world’s broken food system so that it works for everyone. It is also about ensuring that the system is fit for a future where natural resource constraints, environmental challenges such as climate change, and a growing population will make feeding the world even harder. Working with partners and allies around the world it has helped increase investment in small scale agriculture, raised the bar on climate finance, helped communities win back their land and won significant policy commitments from the world’s biggest food companies. More than 50 countries are engaged in the Grow campaign – about 34 of them in the south. The post holder oversees the development of effective strategies to achieve campaign objectives, manages the global campaign team and project manages all aspects of campaign planning and implementation. To achieve this they manage a substantial team of experts leading key functions and projects for the campaign, and work closely with senior staff across the Oxfam family and key global partners and allies.
Deputy Advocacy and Campaigns Director – Public Campaigns
- Head of Policy, Advocacy and Research
- Southern Campaign Strategist
- Public Engagement Strategist
- Digital Campaign Lead
- Campaign Coordinator
- Task management of Behind the Brands Campaign Lead and Media Lead
Campaign leadership and coordination:
- Provide overall leadership, vision, management and strategic guidance to the Grow campaign.
- Ensure the definition and development of strategic and achievable priorities and objectives within a coherent and achievable campaigns work-plan.
- Lead the Grow Campaign Management Team and project manage the development and implementation of its activities.
- Oversee economic justice sub-groups in the implementation of campaign priority strategies and activities.
- Ensure women’s rights are at the heart of the campaign.
- Ensure the consistency, quality and brand risk management of economic justice campaign products through OI approval and sign-off processes.
- Represent the campaign externally at a senior level with allies, targets and media.
- Ensure effective coordination, communication and consultation within Oxfam on campaign decisions, to maximize alignment to agreed priorities.
- Oversee the campaign alliance strategy.
- Participate in key OI processes (campaign planning, OI strategic planning, annual campaigns budgets, etc.) as required.
- Contribute to Oxfam International’s campaign vision, strategy and development through contributions to the Campaigns Group and cross-campaigns management team.
- Oversee monitoring and evaluation processes around campaign objectives that include evaluating progress toward incorporating gender justice in campaign priorities and activities.
One program approach and WIN implementation:
- Ensure coherence of campaign with one program strategy and put national campaigns in the south at the centre of the campaign.
- Work directly and through the economic justice regional and national campaign co-ordinator with staff based in regions to support national campaigns and their links to global initiatives.
- Coordinate with thematic program leads to ensure program campaigning integration.
- Design and lead the fundraising strategy of the campaign working with the WIN (Worldwide Influencing Network) digital team as well as the public and institutional fundraising teams.
- Working with PE (Public Engagement) staff to ensure there is a holistic approach to engaging supporters and the public.
Key Working Relationships:
- Economic justice staff reporting directly to Head of Campaign
- Other economic justice campaign management team members
- OI Deputy Advocacy and Campaigns Director
- OI Advocacy and Campaigns Director
- Senior affiliate advocacy and campaign staff
- Economic justice campaign and advocacy staff in focus countries
- Excellent global and national campaign leadership skills and experience.
- Experience in integrated approaches to advocacy and campaigning that includes research, policy, lobbying, media work and popular campaigning.
- Strong team building and relationship management skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including high level presentation, lobby and media experience.
- Proven knowledge of food security, agriculture and climate change issues.
- Proven experience working with international alliances.
- Understanding of gender analysis and commitment to promoting gender equity.
- Experience in or knowledge of development programming desirable.
- Ability to think and operate strategically and creatively
- Ability to communicate clearly and work cooperatively in a cross-cultural setting
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential. Other languages, particularly French and Spanish, an advantage
- Computer literacy (MS Word, Excel, Internet)
- Flexibility, ability to work under pressure with limited supervision
- Willingness to travel up to 10 weeks/year