PEAS (Promoting Equality in African Schools) is a UK-headquartered charity/social enterprise hybrid with a mission to ‘expand access to sustainably delivered, quality secondary education across Africa’. PEAS establishes and operates low-cost secondary schools in Uganda and Zambia in areas where access to quality secondary education is limited due to cost and geographical barriers. Since opening its first schools in 2008, the PEAS network has grown to 26 schools across 2 countries, educating over 11,000 students.
PEAS Uganda is the pioneering Country Office in the PEAS network and continues to lead the way regarding scale and impact in our community. There are now 24 PEAS Secondary Schools established in high need communities across Uganda serving approximately 11,000 students. PEAS Uganda has grown to circa 50 staff in the central team and about 500 staff working in our schools. They work in close partnership with the government of Uganda and local communities to help every learner in PEAS schools to gain the knowledge and skills needed to lead a fulfilling and socially responsible life. In order to achieve this, PEAS’ interventions are built upon 3 pillars of education impact; Access, Quality and Sustainability.
Overview of the Role
PEAS believes that exceptional leadership is one of the most essential components of any organisation’s efforts to make an impact. PEAS Uganda has already developed strong programmatic and operational foundations and is now looking for an outstanding Country Director to lead their team to achieve highly ambitious goals. This role will also sit on the Global Senior Management Team and will make critical contributions to PEAS’ global strategy and direction.
The Uganda Country Director will have a unique and exciting opportunity to lead PEAS’ efforts to transform the lives of tens of thousands of children in high need communities across the country, as well as having the opportunity to influence education development in Uganda and beyond.
Purpose and Responsibilities of Role
Setting vision and direction for PEAS Uganda:
- Lead the ongoing development of PEAS Uganda’s overall strategic plan, including the articulation of ambitious Access, Quality and Sustainability goals and strategies that will complement PEAS’ global strategy.
- Lead the ongoing development and strengthening of organisational policies and procedures required to support the delivery of a high quality network of schools.
- Provide critical input to PEAS’ global strategy development through a leadership role on PEAS’ Global Senior Management Team.
- Provide an exemplary example of how to live out PEAS’ core values and develop a culture that is strongly aligned to those core values throughout the team.
Delivering results by executing an ambitious strategic plan:
- Accountability for maximizing the social impact generated by PEAS in Uganda through effective implementation of the PEAS model and delivery of their network of high quality schools.
- Oversee the delivery of PEAS Uganda’s strategic plan by equipping and empowering the organisation’s departments to prioritize successfully, plan effectively and execute efficiently.
- Maximise the quality of education that their schools provide by overseeing PEAS Uganda’s Programmatic functions including Education Quality, School Inspections and Monitoring & Evaluation.
- Oversee the effective management of PEAS Uganda’s Operational functions including Finance & Administration, Construction & Logistics, Human Resources, Internal Audit, Risk Management and Income Generating Activities.
- Overall accountability for the effective and efficient delivery of PEAS Uganda’s grant commitments.
Building a highly effective and motivated PEAS Uganda team:
- Accountable for organisation strengthening through further developing high quality talent, processes and culture throughout the team.
- Responsible for effective line management of PEAS Uganda’s Senior Management Team, thus enabling them to empower their own departments and team members.
- Oversee the streamlined delivery of effective management reporting to ensure that critical information is shared efficiently and informs decision making.
- Lead internal communication within PEAS Uganda and its network of schools to share strategy, set high expectations and recognise successes.
Delivering a highly sustainable business model as the foundation of PEAS Uganda’s impact:
- Develop and implement innovative and entrepreneurial revenue generation strategies to ensure the sustainability of PEAS Uganda.
- Guarantee that PEAS Uganda’s essential running costs are covered via prudent oversight of PEAS Uganda budget and resources.
- Ensure that PEAS Uganda complies with all relevant statutory regulations.
Fundraising and Funding Management:
- Ensure grant funded programmes achieve agreed-upon results in close collaboration with UK-based project management and financial teams.
- Liaise with host country government, donors, civil society, and private businesses to move programme forward and leverage resources.
- Oversee the development and implementation of grant funded programme planning, monitoring and evaluation, and reporting activities; and ensure effective application of internal controls including donor compliance.
- Ensure a regular flow of information is available to the fundraising departments and to donors and official funders
- Establish and develop working relationships with key donors and actively develop local funding sources appropriate to PEAS’ resource needs.
Advocacy and external relations:
- Lead PEAS Uganda’s advocacy efforts with the Government of Uganda to strengthen and secure their Public-Private Partnership with the Ministry of Education & Sports.
- Oversight of PEAS Uganda specific external relations with other key stakeholders such as local government, partner organisations and visiting international donors.
- Exemplifies PEAS’ Core Values; Genuine, Effective, Enduring, Empowering and Collaborative.
- Passionate about the role of education in transforming the lives of children and their communities.
- At least 3 years’ experience leading a Senior Management Team or large department with demonstrated ability to develop strategy and deliver results.
- Extensive experience of leading either programmatic or operational delivery.
- Proven ability to work with diverse and large teams, fostering a positive working environment with local and international stakeholders.
- Proven track record of successful government advocacy.
- Proven ability to manage a complex and varied work load with multiple competing deadlines.
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree.
- Willingness and ability to undertake up to 4 weeks of international travel per year.
- Excellent English communication skills (both oral and written).
- Experience working effectively within a multi-national organisation.
- Experience directly delivering education or youth projects or programmes.
- Proven track record of successful entrepreneurship.
- Sound understanding of Uganda’s education policy and system.
- Proven track record of successfully delivering development grants.