Canopy is an award-winning not-for-profit organization dedicated to protecting the world’s forests, species, and climate. Trees over 800 years old do not need to be cut down to make packaging, t-shirts, or junk mail – and Canopy is committed to doing all they can to keep them standing.
Canopy collaborates with more than 800 companies globally to implement robust environmental policies, catalyze innovative solutions, transform unsustainable supply chains, secure forest conservation, and advance community rights. Initially best known for greening the Harry Potter series internationally, Canopy now works with partners including Stella McCartney, The Guardian, The GAP, Sainsbury’s, Penguin Random House, LVMH, Ben & Jerry’s and H&M to transform the environmental impacts of a range of sectors. Canopy’s work relies on the support of individual donors and institutions who share their passion for the planet.
The team at Canopy loves chocolate and playing charades. Working hard is in their DNA – as is having fun and being creative. Pragmatic and audacious, the Canopy team is driven to produce results at a scale proportionate to the environmental problems our world is grappling with. Canopy is part of the growing movement that believes “Nature Needs Half” – a science-driven initiative that recommends 30-50% of the world’s forests be protected by 2030, to ensure forest ecosystems can fulfill the ecological functions and services we need for life on Earth.
About the Role
Canopy is recruiting two Strategic Leads for the Pack4Good and Next Generation Solutions campaign. The Strategic Leads report to the Campaign Director and will work with the Campaign Teams to ensure Canopy meets its bold vision of seeing 30-50% of the world’s forests protected and/or restored. The Strategic Leads will work with some of the world’s most influential brands and corporate executives to transform unsustainable supply chains and leverage on-the-ground conservation.
The Strategic Lead is responsible for developing creative campaigns and strategies and driving their successful execution to enable Canopy to hit its impact goals – transforming unsustainable supply chains, scaling solutions, and securing large-scale conservation of ancient and endangered forests. Travel is a part of this senior position.
Duties and Responsibilities
A Strategic Leader that can tip the balance in favor of forest protection
- Lead the innovation and development of a strategic and integrated campaign to transform specific supply chains that impact global forests
- Work with the Campaign Director and Campaign Team, as well as relevant stakeholders to develop overall campaign objectives, strategies, and plans to protect the world’s forests, species, and climate, and to help advance Indigenous communities’ rights
- Build and cultivate relationships with key players within the market sector, including brands and producers, and other influential stakeholders to move them up a ladder of engagement that advances supply chain transformation and catalyzes Next Generation solutions.
- Create the economic and political conditions to accelerate the transition to circular economy production and large-scale forest conservation
Organizational & Team Development
- Participates with the Campaign Director in developing, refining, and meeting Canopy’s annual budget
- Works with Canopy’s leadership team to support and advance overall organizational priorities including communications, operations, development, and strategy, as needed
- Fosters innovation and creativity with the Campaign team in developing winning strategies for our forests
- Collaborates with other Leads in supporting a robust professional development plan for the Campaign team
- Participates in performance feedback and development plans related to the Campaign team.
Skills and Experience
- 5+ years of experience as a Campaign Leader (or comparable role)
- Proven ability to develop and implement effective, impactful campaign strategies
- Fully conversant with campaign advocacy terms and practices
- Experience in leading and motivating teams
- Strong facilitation and presentation skills
- Well-developed communications skills, both oral and written
- Good negotiation and advocacy skills
- Experienced in project management programs and practices
- Familiar with project management tools
- A good sense of humour and an imperative to have fun!
The benefits for this role include health coverage, 6 weeks annual leave, and retirement contribution and getting to run creative, high impact campaigns.
Canopy embraces equity and diversity and is committed to a workplace that is enriched by the people, needs, and desires of our diverse community.