Transport & Environment is seeking an Air Quality Manager to manage T&E’s air quality workstream, notably policy and campaigns on zero-emission cars in the EU institutions, and wider network. Strong applicants will have knowledge and experience of EU policy-making, sophisticated advocacy and writing skills, and the ability to think strategically and communicate effectively. This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated individual to make an impact in accelerating the transition towards zero-emission mobility in Europe.
About Transport & Environment
Established in 1990, Transport & Environment (T&E) is Europe’s leading clean transport campaign group. The objective of T&E is to promote a policy of transport and accessibility based on the principles of sustainable development by minimising transport’s harmful impacts on the environment and health while maximising the efficiency of resources and guaranteeing safe and sufficient access for all.
Combining the power of robust evidence and a deep understanding of the transport sector with compelling communications and impactful advocacy, T&E has shaped some of Europe’s most important environmental laws and plays a major role in shaping transport policy throughout the continent. Working across Europe, with staff in Brussels, Rome, Berlin, Madrid and London, T&E collaborates with 60 member and supporter groups to achieve its mission. Its main campaigns are cars & CO2, biofuels, air pollution, trucks, aviation, and shipping.
About the Role
Transport is Europe’s biggest climate problem. Accounting for 27% of Europe’s greenhouse gas emissions, transport is the only major sector in which emissions have grown in the past three decades which has led to an increase in the EU’s overall emissions in recent years.
The Air Quality Manager will play a central and strategic role in Transport & Environment’s largest team by helping to shape smart and ambitious transport policies and ensuring the car industry meets the climate commitments made by the EU as part of the Paris Agreement. They will be a key campaigner & policy lead across EU institutions during a time of significant implications for the future of the automotive industry and the environment — in Europe and across the globe.
Purpose of the Role
The Air Quality Manager will work alongside the Director for Clean Vehicles and E-mobility to manage and support T&E’s vehicle emissions and e-mobility work, while also coordinating with the T&E national offices in Spain, Italy, Germany, Poland, France. The role will focus on the new opportunities around EU car CO2 standards, diesel & petrol phase-outs and sustainable batteries regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage policy and advocacy campaigns in the European Commission, Parliament & Council of Ministers.
- Advocate vis-a-vis EU and national policymakers (European Commission, Parliament, national governments and local authorities) on upcoming emissions and e-mobility legislation. This includes some projects-based work on issues related to air quality.
- Build coalitions and coordinating actions with wider T&E NGO network, industry and civil society stakeholders.
- Develop reports, briefings, advocacy and campaigning materials based upon robust evidence and argumentation in order to reduce the climate and health impact of the transport sector.
- Present findings at stakeholder meetings, to business leaders, journalists, civil society actors and the international network, including regular speaking opportunities in EU technical meetings and public events.
Skills and Experience
The successful candidate should meet the following criteria:
- A minimum of five years of relevant EU or national policy-making experience with detailed knowledge of European Parliament and European Commission processes.
- Strong personal commitment to sustainable transport and the aims of T&E.
- Keen interest in policy work on vehicle emissions, e-mobility and batteries. Willingness to learn and develop expertise in the EU automotive market and the key drivers affecting the market (regulations, taxes, car maker strategies).
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, including speaking in public, and the ability to write fluently, accurately and concisely in English.
- Confidence to take initiative engaging and influencing policymakers, industry representatives, and other high-level stakeholders.
- Project management experience with the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience working in teams.
- Fluency in English and at least another major EU language (preferably German or Italian).
- Willingness to travel.