Transport & Environment is looking for a politically savvy and well-networked individual to establish its national office in Germany. The Director will lead the development of a national advocacy strategy for EU transport decarbonisation through strategic communication and collaboration with key stakeholders. This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned advocate that is motivated to effect regulatory change for sustainable transport in Germany and the EU.
About Transport & Environment
Established in 1990, Transport & Environment (T&E) is Europe’s leading clean transport campaign group. The objective of T&E is to promote a policy of transport and accessibility based on the principles of sustainable development by minimising transport’s harmful impacts on the environment and health, while maximising the efficiency of resources and guaranteeing safe and sufficient access for all.
Combining the power of robust evidence and a deep understanding of the transport sector with compelling communications and impactful advocacy, T&E has shaped some of Europe’s most important environmental laws and plays a major role in shaping transport policy throughout the continent. Working across Europe, with staff in Brussels, Rome, Berlin, Madrid and London, T&E collaborates with 60 member and supporter groups to achieve its mission. Its main campaigns are cars & CO2, biofuels, air pollution, trucks, aviation, and shipping.
About the Role
The Director, Germany will represent T&E and advance its political priorities through close cooperation and collaboration with its members in Germany, and the Brussels office. The Director will position and establish T&E within the environmental and clean energy sector in Germany and advocate at a national level with a view to influencing key European transport policies such as CO2 standards, battery regulations or infrastructure and fuels policy.
Purpose of the Role
The overall aim of the role is to establish the German national office and to develop national decarbonisation strategies in alignment with the overall EU strategy. The Director, Germany will work closely with the Clean Vehicles team in Brussels.
Duties and Responsibilities
The role will involve:
- Maintaining an in-depth knowledge of German public policy and the regulatory process.
- Representing T&E in Germany at the highest political level.
- Developing Germany’s national strategies on transport decarbonisation in coordination with T&E overarching goals.
- Ensuring the smooth integration of T&E into the German NGO landscape
- Building coalitions between different organisations.
- Liaising with the T&E Brussels office, especially the Clean Vehicles team.
- Establishing and managing a small national office, including operational, financial and HR responsibilities.
Skills and Experience
The successful candidate will meet all of the following criteria:
- Knowledgeable of the German public policy context and an expert in law and regulations with capacity for political analysis.
- Advocacy and representation experience with a solid grasp of the EU political system and the role of member states in EU decision-making.
- A strong network with a proven record of cultivating contacts and building lasting alliances.
- A deep understanding of T&E’s focus areas, especially the automotive industry.
- The ability to develop short, medium and long-term strategies.
- Proven leadership skills and an effective coaching and management style.
- A positive, can-do attitude with high work autonomy levels.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, and the ability to understand and communicate complex issues clearly and with impact.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Experience managing operations is considered an advantage.
- Native-level German, fluent in written and spoken English.