Senior Director of Communications and Campaigns
Transport & Environment is looking for a Senior Director of Communications and Campaigns to develop new and innovative communications and campaign strategies and lead and coordinate the team towards its implementation. Using robust data and evidence, you will design strategies to mobilise people across Europe and influence public policies at both the regional and national levels. You are an inspiring and empowering team leader with experience managing a high-performing team working in EU public policy, transport, and/or climate.
About Transport & Environment
Established in 1990, Transport & Environment (T&E) is Europe’s leading clean transport campaign group. The objective of T&E is to promote a policy of transport and accessibility based on the principles of sustainable development by minimising transport’s harmful impacts on the environment and health while maximising the efficiency of resources and guaranteeing safe and sufficient access for all.
Combining the power of robust evidence and a deep understanding of the transport sector with compelling communications and impactful advocacy, T&E has shaped some of Europe’s most important environmental laws and plays a major role in shaping transport policy throughout the continent. Working across Europe, with staff in Brussels, Rome, Berlin, Madrid and London, T&E collaborates with 60 member and supporter groups to achieve its mission. Its main campaigns are cars & CO2, biofuels, air pollution, trucks, aviation, and shipping.
About the Role
The Senior Director of Communication & Campaigns is responsible for maintaining and enhancing the organisation’s communication strategy, coordinating T&E’s public-facing campaigns and developing its digital strategy. The Director is responsible for developing and leading communication strategy and campaigns that influence policymakers at the European (EU Parliament & institutions) and national level. The role is positioned as part of T&E’s Senior Management Team (SMT).
Duties and Responsibilities
In this role, you will:
- Direct and manage a specialised communications team.
- Direct and coordinate work happening across traditional media, digital media and campaigns.
- Develop the organisation’s digital strategy and further develop its campaigns strategy.
- Support and advise staff across different policy areas on campaigns, digital and communication.
- Direct the development of the communication strategy for national and European campaigns around key T&E messages.
- Join the senior leadership team in developing the organisation.
- Develop media and campaign messages and stories based on robust data and evidence aiming to influence policymakers across Europe.
- Identify new conversations, social movements and opportunities, and support the team in seizing new opportunities to increase our media and campaigns impact, for example through digital marketing, petitions, online mobilisation or mass emailing.
- Liaise with external stakeholders, such as T&E member groups, partner NGOs, journalists, civil society actors and others.
Skills and Experience
- At least ten years of management experience in communications and campaigns related to public policy, the EU, transport, climate or another relevant field.
- Experience leading communications for influencing public policy at a national or regional level.
- Digitally savvy with experience directing online campaigns for social engagement and mobilisation.
- Experience conceiving and directing public-facing campaigns and crafting campaign-style messages.
- Ability to think outside the box and oversee the introduction of new and innovative ideas and ways of working.
- A proven leader with experience managing and coaching an experienced and talented group of professionals.
- A track record engaging and developing relationships with journalists and media outlets.
- Ability to translate technical information into communication campaigns that are accessible for multiple audiences.
- Experience working in coalitions and developing strong networks and relationships with EU institutions, NGOs and other relevant stakeholders.
- Fluency in English. Fluency in another European language is an advantage (French, Spanish, Italian, German, Polish etc.)