Transport & Environment (T&E) is seeking a Senior Policy Manager to join its new office in Germany. The Senior Policy Manager will work for regulatory change for sustainable transport in Europe in its most important member country: Germany. You will establish working relationships with key government representatives and media outlets to position T&E as a key actor in the automotive and transport sector in Germany. The ideal candidate is a strong communicator who is highly motivated to work proactively and independently on sustainable transport solutions for Germany and the EU.
About Transport & Environment
Established in 1990, Transport & Environment (T&E) is Europe’s leading clean transport campaign group. The objective of T&E is to promote a policy of transport and accessibility based on the principles of sustainable development by minimising transport’s harmful impacts on the environment and health while maximising the efficiency of resources and guaranteeing safe and sufficient access for all.
Combining the power of robust evidence and a deep understanding of the transport sector with compelling communications and impactful advocacy, T&E has shaped some of Europe’s most important environmental laws and plays a major role in shaping transport policy throughout the continent. Working across Europe, with staff in Brussels, Rome, Berlin, Madrid and London, T&E collaborates with 60 member and supporter groups to achieve its mission. Its main campaigns are cars & CO2, biofuels, air pollution, trucks, aviation, and shipping.
About the Role
The Senior Policy Manager will work for regulatory change for sustainable transport in Germany through establishing working relationships with German government representatives, stakeholders and media outlets, and lobbying decision-makers to advocate for political change at a regional level. They will analyse technical data and academic papers to create evidence-based reports and press releases as part of the advocacy strategy.
The Senior Policy Manager will work alongside the Director of the German office on national decarbonisation strategies in alignment with the overall EU strategy, as well as with the Clean Vehicles team in Brussels.
Duties and Responsibilities
The role will involve:
- Establishing a network of journalists and liaising with other national stakeholders.
- Analysing technical reports and data to make decisions.
- Establish working relationships with German government representatives who are working on T&E priority files.
- Knowledge and insight into national positions on key files.
- Liaising with the T&E Brussels office.
- Ensuring government positions are transparent and known through working with media, parliament, ombudsmen, and access to information requests.
Skills and Experience
The successful candidate will meet all of the following criteria:
- A minimum of five years of relevant professional experience.
- An understanding of EU law and policy-making processes.
- An interest in T&E’s focus areas, especially the automotive industry.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, including speaking in public, and the ability to write fluently, accurately and concisely in both German and English.
- Established a network of German and EU political and media contacts.
- The confidence to think and act with initiative and work independently.
- The ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Native-level German, fluent in written and spoken English.