About Transparency International
Transparency International is a global movement with one vision: a world in which government, business, civil society, and the daily lives of people are free of corruption. With more than 100 chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, TI leads the fight against corruption to turn this vision into reality.
About the Role
Transparency International is looking for an entrepreneurial, creative, and opportunity-driven individual to lead TI’s global communications to substantially and effectively promote TI’s profile and brand at the global level. Reporting directly to the CEO, the Head of Communications will plan, lead, and oversee the strategic direction of communications and will lead the Communications Team (approx. ten colleagues), ensuring effective, efficient, and timely delivery of results that are aligned with the organization and TI’s Global Strategy 2030 – Holding Power to Account. This is an exciting position that will play a fundamental role in TI’s ability to influence, impact and enable systemic change. The successful candidate will be joining a highly motivated and talented team of communications professionals and will have responsibility for building on current successes to ensure the continued impact of communications in delivering our strategic priorities and support of their 100+ national chapters.
Purpose of the Role
The Head of Communications leads, develops, and implements TI’s communications to effectively promote TI’s profile and brand at the global level, and provides the Communications Team with strategic leadership, ensuring effective, efficient, and timely delivery of results that are strategically aligned with the organization and TI’s Global Strategy 2030 – Holding Power to Account.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the CEO, the Head of Communications will:
- Provide strategic leadership and advice on communications across the Transparency International Secretariat, including the CEO and Board of Directors; and assist National Chapters in effectively managing their strategic communications needs.
- Lead, develop and implement TI’s communications and effectively promote TI’s profile to create impact and promote the brand at the global level.
- Lead, oversee and contribute to daily operations in communications ensuring that operations meet organizational needs while maintaining appropriate controls.
- Oversee TI’s online and digital engagement with key audiences; drive the design of TI’s online presence and media and advocacy activities to ensure that they clearly and accurately promote the organisation’s global and regional and programmatic work within the framework of the TI Strategy 2030.
- Oversee and steer the production and editing of TI’s publications.
- Protect the TI brand from reputational risks associated with the tone, messaging, design standards, and overall quality of print and online publications and communications.
- Use communications to ensure the safety of colleagues in the TI movement in at-risk situations.
- Plan, lead and oversee the strategic direction of communications which includes the development, implementation, and updating of appropriate strategies; actively contribute to organizational strategies.
- Effectively lead team, provide regular feedback, addressing development and performance, and fostering a teamwork approach in meeting objectives and goals.
- Ensure effective communication and collaboration between the Communications Team and other TI-S teams, as well as with other stakeholders.
- Use data and analytics to constantly improve the performance of TI’s online communications across all platforms.
- Support the organization’s operational and strategic content and budget planning by providing leadership and advice related to communications.
- Build relationships and form alliances with external counterparts, communities of practice, and stakeholders to scan for innovations and opportunities to form partnerships and support others to implement.
- Work closely with TI-S Fundraising to ensure fundraising is fully integrated into the communications platforms and messaging.
Skills and Experience
To succeed in this role, candidates will need to meet the following:
- Qualifications or proven track record in communications, marketing, journalism, political science, international affairs, and/or other relevant fields.
- 10+ years of progressively responsible, relevant professional experience in communications, with particular experience in media engagement, public relations, online platforms, and content strategy in an international or media organisation, and of which at least 5 years at a senior level.
- Understanding of current best practices in online communications, and demonstrated experience in integrating online/social media strategy with advocacy planning; knowledge and experience of developing communications for advocacy and public-facing campaigns, including for fundraising.
- Combination of strategic thinking and hands-on application to achieve agreed-on goals and guiding investment in people and systems.
- Excellent people skills, and the ability to partner across different levels in the organization; political awareness and ability to handle sensitive issues with diplomacy in different cultural settings.
- Experience managing crisis communications and responding rapidly to opportunities and threats in the news cycle and within/to a global movement or equivalent.
- Excellent communications skills in English (to native speaker standard) required; additional languages, in particular, French and/or Spanish, an asset; excellent writing and editing skills essential.
- Strong organisational skills and ability to effectively manage priorities in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Proven supervisory and leadership skills to manage a diverse, multicultural team in an international organization.
- Knowledge of and considerable interest in corruption, governance and development issues, and international affairs.
- Commitment to the values and principles of Transparency International.
Joining the Transparency International Secretariat, candidates can expect:
- A role with purpose, working in a team of engaged and enthusiastic colleagues and experts in the field of anti-corruption.
- The opportunity to become part of the global movement against corruption and make a positive contribution to the work of TI in the field of transparency and accountability working on a wide range of relevant and challenging issues.
- An inspiring and dynamic international working environment with peers representing 45+ different nationalities
- Ample opportunities to learn and grow, from annual team training allowances to onsite professional development opportunities