WaterAid has been in Uganda since 1983. During that period it has undergone significant changes moving from direct implementation of projects in water, sanitation and hygiene. Increasingly WaterAid is working through a range of partners from local government authorities to NGOs to deliver safe water, improved sanitation and hygiene education to poor communities in 11 districts. The country programme currently work in 5 districts including Kampala, and predominantly in the north and north east regions, working through local partners and with local governments. With a team of 27 committed, energetic and vibrant staff, the country programme is increasing its influence in the sector for greater equity, sustainability and accountability for the poor.
Head of Region – East Africa
Responsible for a budget of over £2 million annually
The primary purpose of the Country Representative (CR) is to provide leadership to the Country Programme (CP) and to contribute to the regional, pan Africa and global leadership of WaterAid. The CR achieves this by steering the direction of the CP, empowering and developing staff and partners and influencing public and private institutions on the impact that improvements in safe water and improved sanitation and hygiene can make to the poorest and most excluded – therefore contributing to wider poverty reduction and human development.
- Provide strong strategic leadership to the country team promoting a management culture that is supportive, empowering and collaborative.
- Lead, manage and motivate a team, creating an environment that enables staff to maximise their potential and facilitates high performing teams; ensure that the Senior Management Team is effective in promoting effective internal collaboration and joined-up working.
- Develop and deliver the Country Strategy in line with WaterAid’s Global Strategy.
- Ensure the successful, on time, delivery of all multi year plans and budgets.
- Represent WaterAid externally, ensuring that WaterAid’s vision, mission, values and aims are communicated in a positive and compelling way. Facilitate the building of relationships between partners, staff and other stakeholders.
- Actively facilitate relationships between sector stakeholders (actors) to support the development of the sector.
- Collaborate with colleagues from across WaterAid to enhance relationships and ensure effective organisational working.
- Contribute as a member of the Global and Regional leadership teams of WaterAid to support organisational effectiveness and development.
- Lead the approach to ensuring that the CP has integrated Rights, Equity and Inclusion into its work as well as being a diverse and inclusive place to work.
- Stay aware of local funding context and identify appropriate opportunities to increase income, in conjunction with the Head of Region and the Strategic Funding Unit.
- Develop thorough understanding of the external environment WaterAid is operating in, identify and manage risk including ensuring appropriate health and safety and security procedures are in place.
- Ensure that WA’s global policies are adapted to the country context (as appropriate) and adhered to; represent WA’s stated global positions on key development issues effectively, adapting it to the country context as appropriate.
- Degree or professional qualification in a relevant subject.
- Post graduate qualification in a related subject.
- Proven experience of heading a Country Programme/Office.
- Strategic leadership and management of a multi-disciplinary team of professionals, preferably in water and sanitation sector.
- Experience in strategic planning development in a senior management capacity.
- Experience of developing key strategic and operational partnerships with national level NGOs and government authorities for programme, policy and advocacy interventions.
- Experience of raising funds from government and/or international agencies (bilateral/multilateral), managing large budgets with diverse international donor base.
- Leading on engagement with national governments, bilateral and multi-lateral agencies on policy influencing.
- Proven leadership skills and strategic management skills.
- Senior management experience in an international development organisation.
- Proven experience in managing organisational growth and change.
- Experience of leading on participative monitoring and impact assessment missions.
- Experience of working in Uganda.
- Significant experience of community-based water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion projects.
Knowledge and skills (essential):
- A clear and sound understanding of international development (policy and programme), especially in the water and sanitation developing countries.
- Ability to think clearly and analytically.
- Ability to develop long term strategic plans at an organisational level within a country and further developing operational short and medium term plans.
- Ability to plan own work, setting priorities and completing it under pressure or when faced with competing demands.
- Ability to lead financial and budget management processes and ensure high level of accountability to internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate and make presentations clearly in English.
Knowledge and skills (desirable):
- A good understanding of participative hygiene promotion approaches and methodologies.
- Ability to use computers both for word-processing and spreadsheet packages.
- Ability to develop innovative approaches to development problems.
- Ability to communicate clearly in a relevant local language.
Personal qualities (essential):
- A strong commitment to gender sensitive, inclusive and pro-poor development work.
- A commitment to WaterAid’s values and approach.
- Consultative and empowering management style and willingness to learn from others.
- Willingness to work within an organisational framework in the spirit of mutual trust and the spirit of mutual trust and respect.