Regional Advocacy Manager
You’ll be working with the Regional Team to build and develop the Regional Influencing Programme that can be can be marketed to funders—as well as helping to shape WaterAid’s regional strategy in East Africa. You will profile WaterAid as a key player in both this sector and the region, linking global discussions and agendas with what is happening at a regional and national level. You will be developing partnerships with other INGOs; the African Union; the East African Community—as well as key donors and influencers with an interest in water and hygiene and the related sectors of health, education, agriculture and energy. Politically, you will be engaging with governments—especially in Ethiopia and Rwanda—as well as the East Africa Parliament.
As WaterAid’s country offices become more federated, you will contribute to the regional office becoming more strategic and helping countries to sharpen their programmes and strategies.
You have a good understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals and the more experience you have working with African institutions and governments, the better. You are politically-aware, can influence key people and know how to build a network.
We expect you to be able to demonstrate that you are:
- an influencer: able to sell ideas and change people’s thinking at a senior level;
- a campaigner: able to lead regional and global advocacy, as well as influencing programmes and campaigns;
- an alliance-builder: able to identify partners and develop strong, mutually-beneficial relationships;
- an analyst: able to analyse outcomes and the impact of WaterAid’s advocacy and policy influencing work in the region, documenting lessons and good practice;
- a spokesperson; providing the region’s voice on advocacy and influencing issues, as well as acting as its representative.
You can work in any East African Country Programme Office: Ethiopia, Rwanda, Tanzania or Uganda. Kenya is a possibility, though WaterAid do not have a presence in-country.