Asia Pacific Campaign Coordinator – Wildlife
About World Animal Protection
World Animal Protection have protected animals around the globe for more than 30 years. They use their collective skills and knowledge to move individuals, organisations and governments to transform the lives of animals.
The fate of animals rests with people, so they champion the wellbeing of animals as a vital solution to global challenges, moving the world to protect animals to ensure it is a local priority and an international concern.
World Animal Protection’s shared vision and passion is delivering real change for animals across the globe. Their work and behaviors are aligned to Four Moves – Act now; Aim high; Get creative and Look around.
The organisation’s work in more than 50 counties requires people who possess the skills, aptitudes and qualities that align with their culture, living their Four Moves to ensure they make decisions and perform in a way that reflects their brand.
About the Role
Wildlife Campaign Manager – Asia Pacific
Working groups on bears in the Asia Pacific region
Works closely with:
Various functions in the region, international content and fundraising teams, and country staff to develop, deliver and work within agreed/approved strategies and frameworks.
External stakeholders including governments, enforcement agencies, INGOs, and NGOs, supporters and donors.
Purpose of Role
The main purpose of the role is to provide regional leadership and direction to the campaign to end bear farming and bears in entertainment. The post holder will also assist in delivering specific work within Animals in the Wild Programme beyond bears.
Scope of Role
- Campaign Management
- Government/stakeholder lobbying
- Operational Support
- Internal Liaison and Coordination
- Quality Assurance
- Budgeting and Financial Management
Dimensions and Limits of Authority
- Responsible for the delivery of the Bears in the Wild campaigns in Asia and other specific work within the Animals in the Wild Programme.
- Responsible for regional Bears in the Wild budget and expenditure.
Decision Making Authority
Recommend tactics and pathways to achieve campaign objectives.
Editorial and content:
Recommend content for internal and external communications on bears.
Recommend budget allocation.
Maintaining relationship with major donors through fundraisers:
Recommend content for report to major donors.
Technical Experience and Skills
- Minimum 5 years working in a campaign, advocacy or government relations-related post.
- Ability to lead and inspire multi-discipline teams and build strong constructive relationships at all levels.
- Experience working internationally and in a multi-cultural environment.
- Strong knowledge of regional socio-economic, political and environmental issues.
- Track record of building and maintaining positive relationships with diverse stakeholders in order to create change.
- Strong interpersonal, networking and organisational skills.
- Excellent communications skills (written, oral and presentation).
- Previous experience with budgeting and financial management.
- Flexible to travel at short notice.
- High organised, ability to work to strict deadlines.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
Campaign and Project Management:
- Lead the development and implementation of innovative and effective campaigns to end the bear bile industry in Asia and bear-baiting in Pakistan.
- Support Working Groups in delivering specific tasks within the Animals in the Wild Programme.
- Develop campaigns and projects in support of, and in alignment with, regional and global strategies.
- Support country teams in developing effective Bears in the Wild strategies and plans, appropriate to their context and in alignment with the regional and global strategies.
- Oversee delivery of the Bears in the Wild campaigns and projects in Asia.
- Identify and address areas of dependency, conflict or collaboration between Bears in the Wild projects.
Leadership & Project Management:
- Lead, motivate and manage partners and consultants to reach their full potential and to deliver the best possible outcomes and achievements.
- Provide strategic direction to the Bears in the Wild campaign team.
- Establish, maintain and inspire a geographically-diverse campaign team.
- Support Working Groups to position World Animal Protection as the leading international animal welfare organisation.
- Liaise with World Animal Protection international staff and staff in other regions to ensure a coordinated approach to Bears in the Wild.
- Contribute to the development of global policies, guidelines and standards relating to Bears in the Wild.
- Collaborate with World Animal Protection International staff, regional colleagues and country staff by providing technical leadership / input as appropriate.
- Monitor the region for sensitive issues that could impact Bears in the Wild work and advise senior leadership on how to position the organisation.
- Advise regional colleagues and international staff on regional context and appropriate Bears in the Wild positioning related to the Asia Pacific region.
- Liaise and advise on representation requests made to country offices as required.
Internal Liaison and Effective Coordination:
- Act as a strategic link and focal point for Bears in the Wild work connecting regional, country and international teams.
- Work collaboratively with Working Groups to deliver campaign objectives.
- Participate and actively contribute in the partnership forums, working groups and networks related to Bears in the Wild work.
- Support country staff in ensuring adherence to World Animal Protection’s policies, protocols, and standards.
- Ensure consistent and high quality project delivery across Bears in the Wild projects in Asia Pacific.
- Support the Working Groups in addressing alignment, compliance and quality issues, and needs of country teams in relation to Bears in the Wild work.
Budgeting and Financial Management:
- Manage the Asia Pacific Bears in the Wild budget and provide reports as required.
- Working collaboratively with Asia Pacific Wildlife Campaign Manager to develop budgetary proposals for Bears in the Wild projects.
- Monitor regional Bears in the Wild expenditure against budget.