Senior Communications Manager
About World Animal Protection
World Animal Protection has protected animals around the globe for more than 30 years. They use their collective skills and knowledge to move individuals, organisations and governments to transform the lives of animals.
The fate of animals rests with people, so together they champion the wellbeing of animals as a vital solution to global challenges. They move the world to protect animals to ensure it is a local priority and an international concern.
World Animal Protection’s shared vision and passion is delivering real change for animals across the globe. They align their work and behaviors to Four Moves – Act now, Aim high, Get creative and Look around.
Their diverse work in more than 50 counties requires possessing the skills, aptitude and qualities that align with World Animal Protection culture. They live Four Moves to ensure they are making informed decisions and are performing in a way that reflects their brand.
China Country Director
Functional relationship to Regional Head of Communications – Asia Pacific.
China office team, Global Communications Team.
Works closely with:
China office team; regional and global communications teams; Asia Pacific campaign and program teams on priority campaigns.
External stakeholders including media, spokespeople, agencies and other NGOs.
Main Purpose of Role:
To develop, implement and drive a comprehensive communications strategy to build World Animal Protection’s reputation and brand in China, to motivate and mobilise people and influencers to support the organisation’s priority campaigns and take meaningful action for animals.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
Strategy & planning:
- Provide communications leadership to campaign strategies and project plans in China.
- Lead the development and implementation of the China office communications strategy in line with regional and global strategies and priorities.
- Work with the Regional Head of Communications to develop brand and digital strategies.
Implementation of strategies and plans:
- Ensure that all China communications to stakeholders, media, supporters and public are consistent and aligned with the brand.
- Act as the focal point for China office communications, connecting China with regional and global teams.
- Monitor and anticipate potential sensitive media issues across China that could impact World Animal Protection, advising local and regional teams on how to respond.
- Guide stakeholders on appropriate communications tools and channels including online, social, print, broadcast, video.
- Supervise and manage the China office communications team.
- Help position World Animal Protection China as the leading international animal welfare organisation.
Reporting and budget management:
- Ensure efficient, effective and ethical use and management of budget funds.
Four Moves Champion – Uphold and promote World Animal Protection’s values and behaviours:
- Act Now – They focus on positive things they can do today to drive sustainable change.
- Aim High – They stretch themselves and their ideas of what they can achieve for animals.
- Get Creative – They’re open to new ideas that can make a real difference.
- Look Around – They work with a global mindset to make a real impact now and far into the future.
- Act as World Animal Protection’s ambassador.
Scope of Role
- Strategy and planning across all communications functions in China, including: digital, brand, content, media and mobilisation.
- Implementation of China communication strategies.
- Leadership of communications team and function in the China office.
- Reporting and budget management.
- Degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing or other relevant subject.
- Relationship Building
- Managing People
- Drive for Results
- Conflict Management
- Decision making
- Resilience and Tenacity
Experience and Skills
- At least 5 to 7 years’ experience in communications or public relations – either within the private, public or charity sector.
- International communications or public relations experience, working within a large and complex international organisation in the Asia Pacific region.
- Media experience, both social and traditional.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in both Chinese and English.
- Strong interpersonal, networking and organisational skills.
- Demonstrated leadership and collaboration skills.
- Strategic brand and digital experience would be desirable.
- Strong awareness of global and regional socio-economic, political and environmental issues would be desirable.