About Alianza Americas
Alianza Americas is a unique network comprising nearly 60 migrant-led organizations in the United States and across North, Central, and South America. It is the only transnational organization rooted in Latino immigrant communities in the U.S., focusing on creating inclusive, equitable, and sustainable lifestyles. The organization addresses economic, racial, and social justice, compassionate migration policies, and the protection of children and families seeking refuge. Alianza Americas operates on three main axes: Migrant Justice, Systemic Inequities, and Climate Justice, integrating these into all aspects of its mission.
About the Role
The Executive Director (ED) role at Alianza Americas is a pivotal leadership position, especially as the organization enters its third decade. The ED will report directly to the Board of Directors and is responsible for steering the organization in line with the priorities set by its members and the Board. This role offers an opportunity to bring innovative leadership to an organization known for its transnational advocacy and deep roots in local immigrant-led organizations.
Purpose of the Role
The Executive Director will lead and direct the overall strategy and implementation of Alianza Americas’ programs and campaigns. This includes developing organizational structures, reporting and evaluation mechanisms, forming alliances, and enhancing communication capacities. The ED will ensure that the organization’s mission and advocacy messages are effectively communicated and that the organization remains financially healthy and operationally effective.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Direction and Program Implementation: Collaborate with and facilitate the Board and Membership to set organizational direction and develop strategies for program implementation, assessment, and evaluation.
- Board and Membership Relations: Serve as the primary liaison between the staff and the Board, facilitating participation processes for the Board and membership to help shape the work of Alianza America and ensuring the implementation of Board decisions.
- Oversee a diverse remote team. Responsible for hiring, supervising, and evaluating teams and contractors.
- Public Representation: Act as the lead spokesperson, representing the organization to members, media, funders, and the public.
- Resource Development: Lead fundraising efforts and maintain the organization’s financial health.
- Financial Oversight: Manage the organization’s finances, ensuring legal compliance and meeting funder obligations.
- Travel within the US and internationally approx. 25% of the time.
Skills and Experience
- Leadership and Vision: Ability to design and lead complex advocacy agendas and anticipate future challenges.
- Strategic Planning: Experience designing, overseeing and implementing the overall strategic planning of the organization.
- Relationship Building: Establish and maintain effective relationships with member organizations and allies, both domestically and transnationally, while growing the organization’s network.
- Cultural Competency: Deep understanding and lived experience with transnational communities.
- Communication Skills: Exceptional written and oral communication skills in English and Spanish. Experience communicating with media outlets is advantageous.
- Fundraising Expertise: Demonstrated success in fundraising and financial management.
- Staff Management: Experience in supervising and motivating a diverse, remote team.
- Alliance Building: Skill in forming alliances across various groups and political ideologies.
- Managerial Skills: Strong ability to prioritize, coordinate multiple projects, and meet deadlines.