Senior Advisor on Organisational Development and Conflict Management
About Amnesty International
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 10 million people who take injustice personally. They campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all. This role is part of the Movement Building Programme, which is responsible for leading the organisational transformation and strengthening the capacity of national entities and their leaders to deliver the strategic goals, in line with Amnesty global standards. The global team focuses on strengthening the empowerment of national entities via learning and accountability frameworks and tools, wellbeing support, diversity and antiracism support, communications and reporting systems, organisational development, conflict management and leadership development, and direct support to entities in crisis or conflict when regional teams need it. The Programme supports the movement building and capacity building staff in the Regional Offices. It contributes a movement perspective to the International Secretariat’s functions that work with national entities in human rights impact and growth, including activism, engagement, and fundraising.
About the Role
The Senior Advisor on Organisational Development and Conflict Management provides strategic support and transformation to Amnesty national entities on organisational development, organisational conflict and wellbeing. They coordinate the Conflict Management Assistance Group to ensure timely and practical support and resolution of conflicts across the movement and build a healthy and inclusive organisational culture. They also offer direction to senior global leadership and technical support to local leadership that enables Amnesty entities to perform well to amplify their impact on human rights.
The Senior Advisor gives guidance and expertise that allow individuals and groups in Amnesty to have healthy, supportive relationships. They also lead on research and data analysis, and design action plans to act on gaps, all while advising the Programme Director and Senior Leadership on policy issues and solutions of global organisational matters. This role is supported by other OD experts in the global team, in the regional teams, and by the Conflict Management Assistance Group, volunteers of the movement who intervene on conflict resolution.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Guide the Programme Director and Senior Leadership on areas where capacity building and organisational development support are needed across the movement and work with Regional, Programme and National entity Directors and Boards to provide technical and strategic advice to deliver solutions around conflict, improving organisational health and wellbeing;
- Collect and analyse data across the movement to advise on trends or critical gaps in conflict, organisational development and wellbeing;
- Establish global frameworks, models and systems for Amnesty International national entities on the development and implementation of conflict management and wellbeing strategies, plans and interventions to ensure a healthy organisational culture and governance across the movement;
- Facilitate the resolution of conflict and crisis in national entities and provide advice and updates to Senior Leadership ensuring that internal procedures are observed;
- Identify and promote good practice in organisational development, conflict and wellbeing and keep abreast of professional advances in the field and make appropriate recommendations to enhance the effectiveness of the movement;
- Communicate with key internal and external stakeholders (Senior Leadership Team, colleagues and external parties) on wellbeing, conflict management and organisational health to ensure that all stakeholders have relevant information to enable effective collaborative work and decision-making;
- Complete other tasks as assigned according to the grade and nature of this post, including cover for other colleagues and team members as required.
Skills and Experience
Theoretical Knowledge and practical experience in conflict resolution and organisational development
- Proven knowledge of and experience in conflict resolution and management theory and good practice in multinational settings;
- Knowledge and expertise in organisational health and development;
- Ability to develop frameworks and models to enhance positive organisational culture and health;
- Knowledge of systems thinking, and tools and frameworks for organisational development;
- Knowledge of theories of change management, organisational change processes, and restorative process and systems design;
- Experience in facilitating complex conflict management and transformation processes, group process work, dialogue, investigation processes and in conflict resolution processes such as mediation, conflict coaching, diplomacy, consensus building and investigation;
- Experience providing individual, group and organisational wellbeing support;
- Ability to understand political and policy implications related to conflict management;
- Sensitiveness to the needs, opportunities and constraints of a worldwide democratic membership organisation with its global and national governance rules and standards
- Background in psychology is desired, with knowledge of psychological concepts and frameworks in organisational settings.
Strategic thinking and planning
- Ability to assess implications of conflict management in strategy development;
- Display of objectivity, impartiality and sensitivity to nuance at all times;
- Ability to set priorities and plan to meet strategic objectives;
- Ability to gather information, analyse it, and assess appropriate options.
- Ability to identify the necessary information, potentially influential actors, alternative courses of action and pros and cons of each step before making a decision;
- Awareness of how all decisions might impact parties in conflict, stakeholders and the organisation.
- Ability to communicate effectively and sensitively with individuals from a variety of cultures and backgrounds and all levels within the organisation;
- Ability to effectively and sensitively negotiate and problem-solve complex issues with multiple stakeholders;
- Ability to convey complex information clearly and succinctly, verbally and in writing;
- Ability to express themselves unequivocally, diplomatically and firmly, to motivate others;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and ideally in other core Amnesty languages (French, Spanish).
Interpersonal and cultural sensitivity
- Ability to work with individuals from a variety of cultures and backgrounds;
- Ability to motivate people from a range of different backgrounds;
- Ability to work sensitively and effectively with parties in conflict;
- Sensitivity to and knowledge of issues of cultural diversity and equal opportunities;
- Commitment to making equal opportunities and diversity and inclusion a reality;
- Understanding and managing biases.
- Ability to work well under pressure, maintaining both a high level of accuracy and output;
- Planning and prioritising work to ensure deadlines are met;
- Ability to work systematically and methodically following established procedures;
- Willingness to coordinate and consult with a wide range of colleagues;
- Taking responsibility for errors and assuming accountability for actions.
- Ability to understand and accept changes in priorities;
- Adapting style to different people and situations easily.
Team working and facilitation
- Experience in working effectively within a team;
- Experience in providing distance leadership to teamwork;
- Enjoying working collaboratively with others, contributing to the setting of priorities;
- Developing strategies and establishment of sound communication systems within the team;
- Supporting and encouraging team members creativity and innovation;
- Ability to design, implement and evaluate effective training programmes;
- Experience facilitating multi-lingual, diverse groups
- Experience promoting the work of others.
Creativity and innovation
- Seeking innovative and creative ideas or fresh approaches to improve the quality of service offered