CBM (registered as CBM Christoffel-Blindenmission Christian Blind Mission e.V.) is an international development organisation committed to improving the quality of life of persons with disabilities in the poorest communities of the world. Based on CBM’s Christian values and more than 100 years of professional expertise, they address poverty as a cause and a consequence of disability. CBM works in partnership to create an inclusive society for all.
About the Role
The Head of IEH Programmes is responsible for leading the IEH team, providing overall direction, and ensuring the effective functioning of the entire team. This includes support for the resourcing, management, coordination of monitoring and implementation of CBM’s Inclusive Eye Health programmes. The Head is also responsible for contributing strategic advice to CBM’s IEH programme development through partnering and identifying potential institutional and private sector donors. The role is part of the CBM International’s IEH team, which sits within the “Inclusive Eye Health Initiative” and will work with relevant CBM Country Offices and Regional Hubs.
Purpose of the Role
The Head of IEH will oversee large country or multi-country programmes and projects (Euro 10 million and more) and will:
- ensure that programme managers are on top of and know the details of IEH projects, including administrative, budget/financial, technical and operational aspects, in their assigned countries.
- be responsible for ensuring compliance with organisational, donor, and international programme quality standards.
- ensure that projects comply with local governments’, donors’, and the organisation’s administrative, human resource, and financial requirements.
- act as primary programme contact to donors and other local and international stakeholders.
- develop a strategic vision so that plans for the programmes are innovative, evidence-based, and aligned with the agency and donor programme strategies.
- establish a risk management system for all projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The external representation of the CBM IEH Initiative in international networks and conferences, e.g. The International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB) working groups and conferences.
- Representation of CBM in international NGO consortia for fundraising or other purposes.
- Coordination of the activities of regional and global IEH Advisors in line with CBM’s IEH strategy.
- The internal representation of IEH Initiative at workshops and meetings.
- Providing leadership and oversight to IEH programmes and the IEH programme team.
- Planning and monitoring of the IEH Budget.
- Planning and monitoring of inter-regional projects in IEH.
- Coordination and monitoring of quality management of IEH programmes globally.
- Planning and preparation of quarterly team meetings, together with the Head of Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs).
- Coordination and monitoring of the IEH-CBID (Community Based Inclusive Development) Initiative collaboration.
- Managing relationships with Zeiss and other corporate partners in eye health.
Skills and Experience
- Degree in public health, social science, development cooperation or equivalent knowledge gained through working expertise.
- Solid experience working in programme management in a related field.
- Sound understanding of trends and policy frameworks in the international eye health sector.
- Experience in networking, advocacy and influencing with global networks and stakeholders, ideally in a health-related field.
- Good experience and knowledge of project cycle management.
- Good financial management skills.
- Proven management and leadership skills.
- Experience in proposal writing and budgeting.
- Experience in teaching, training, coaching and supervision of relevant cadres.
- Excellent communication skills.
- “Hands-on” mentality and an independent, agile and flexible working style.
- Good knowledge of English; French/Spanish/German is desirable.
- Computer literacy, including experience with Microsoft packages such as Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access.
- Committed to CBM’s vision, mission and values.