Canopy is an award-winning not-for-profit organization dedicated to protecting the world’s forests, species, and climate. Trees over 800 years old do not need to be cut down to make packaging, t-shirts, or junk mail – and Canopy is committed to doing all they can to keep them standing.
Canopy collaborates with more than 800 companies globally to implement robust environmental policies, catalyze innovative solutions, transform unsustainable supply chains, secure forest conservation, and advance community rights. Initially best known for greening the Harry Potter series internationally, Canopy now works with partners including Stella McCartney, The Guardian, The GAP, Sainsbury’s, Penguin Random House, LVMH, Ben & Jerry’s and H&M to transform the environmental impacts of a range of sectors. Canopy’s work relies on the support of individual donors and institutions who share their passion for the planet.
The team at Canopy loves chocolate and playing charades. Working hard is in their DNA – as is having fun and being creative. Pragmatic and audacious, the Canopy team is driven to produce results at a scale proportionate to the environmental problems our world is grappling with. Canopy is part of the growing movement that believes “Nature Needs Half” – a science-driven initiative that recommends 30-50% of the world’s forests be protected by 2030, to ensure forest ecosystems can fulfill the ecological functions and services we need for life on Earth.
About the Role
Canopy is a solutions-driven campaigning organization and the Deputy Campaign Director is responsible for ensuring that the campaign team continues to develop the necessary strategies and skills required to deliver maximum impact, and for ensuring that campaigns are successful, consistent, and aligned with the Canopy brand. The Deputy Campaign Director is an active member of Canopy’s Management Team and reports directly to the Campaign Director. Travel is a part of this senior position.
Duties and Responsibilities
A strategic and visionary leader
- Works with the Campaign Director and campaign team to develop, refine and deliver on Canopy’s strategic priorities and annual deliverables
- Works with the Campaign Director to establish a shared vision and drive amongst the Campaign Team
- Manages a team of campaign managers, supporting their leadership of team members to hit their annual deliverables and strategic priorities
- Introduces and implements results-based systems, provides strategic advice, and mentorship, assesses performance and applies adaptive management to strengthen the team’s impacts, etc.
- Develops and analyzes campaign metrics and makes recommendations to the Campaign Director for action
- Works with Campaign Director and campaign team to develop and implement new campaign initiatives
- Leads a number of Canopy’s key campaign initiatives and strategic relationships.
Fundraising & Support for Team Development
- Identifies training and professional development needs of the Campaign Team
- Works with the Campaign Director and Engagement & Operations Director to create or identify effective means for delivery of relevant training and coaching.
- Consulting with others as appropriate, leads performance feedback and development plans related to the campaign team
- Reviews and provides input into appropriate funding materials (grant proposals, funding reports, point of sale solicitations, appeals and e-newsletters)
- Meets with funders and donors when required
- Works with the Engagement & Operations Director in monitoring Campaign Team time banks and expenses
- Co-develops and manages annual campaign budgets, in close collaboration with the Campaign Director.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of 5-7 years experience in leadership role/s within advocacy organizations
- Seasoned people manager with a proven ability to lead and mentor
- Excellent understanding of project management, managing budgets, identifying and managing risks
- Strong skills in managing, developing, coaching, and retaining team members ensuring individual professional growth
- Solid understanding of campaigning, strategy development, and related practices
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated ability in being a creative problem solver and an analytical and decisive decision-maker
- Strong understanding of Canopy’s mission and focus on forest conservation is an advantage
- A good sense of humour and an imperative to have fun!
The benefits for this role include health coverage, 6 weeks annual leave, retirement contribution and getting to run creative, high impact campaigns.
Canopy embraces equity and diversity and is committed to a workplace that is enriched by the people, needs, and desires of our diverse community.