Futurelect’s mission is to empower a new generation of ethical political, government and civic leaders in Africa. They do this by supporting a diverse, more youthful network of political and government leaders to advance the development of thriving, open and democratic societies in Africa.
Futurelect wants to revive young people’s trust in politics and democratic government by supporting them to participate actively in the democratic public life of their countries. This applies to people directly involved in politics and government and to those who will elect Africa’s leaders. Futurelect wants to empower vibrant and engaged electorates around Africa, armed with the knowledge, confidence and conviction to participate actively in the democratic process and hold elected leadership to account at the ballot and between polls.
Purpose of the Role
The Regional Head of Programmes, Southern Africa, will design, deliver and manage Futurelect’s Southern Africa public leadership and civic education programmes.
Duties and Responsibilities
Programmes Design, Delivery and Management:
- Lead the design, delivery and management of all Southern Africa public leadership and civic education programmes.
- Create and manage programme estimates, project plans, project schedules, resource allocation and expenses to ensure targets and outcomes are reached.
- Manage and oversee the Southern Africa public leadership programme recruitment and selection, pastoral programme development, e-learning integration and facilitator recruitment to support learning and programme objectives and outcomes in the region.
- Engage with the Director of Programmes, higher education institutions, think tanks, political and government institutions, facilitation experts and other potential project partners to customise the Southern Africa programme curricula to engage with the regional speciﬁcities of the public sector and politics in Southern African countries.
Finance and Fundraising:
- Collaborate with the Finance and Fundraising Manager and the Director of Programmes in seeking and securing new and diverse funders – particularly philanthropic funding in Africa and internationally; design and draft funding proposals and grant applications.
- Work with the Finance and Fundraising Manager to manage regional spending and monitor budget and cash flow to mitigate ﬁnancial risk.
Communications and Stakeholder Engagement:
- Support the Head of Marketing and Communications in developing, managing and implementing a communications plan for the Southern Africa programmes.
- Design, oversee and deliver workshops and events in the Southern Africa region in partnership with the CEO, Director of Programmes and Head of Communications, to ensure that Futurelect’s public engagement plan is active and ongoing.
- Partner with the Head of Human Resources and Talent Management and the Director of Programmes to assess staffing needs and ensure the team based in South Africa is well-resourced.
- Lead talent management and employee development processes, ensuring aligned regional and organisational objectives; implement and manage performance management processes.
Skills and Experience
- Programme management: Demonstrated ability in programme design and facilitation for learning and development, with experience evaluating and adapting education programme content.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Demonstrated experience engaging with high-level stakeholders from the private sector, government, political organisations and other partners in the delivery of programmes.
- Financial Management: Demonstrated acumen in financial forecasting and budget management.
- Fundraising: Experience in grant writing and proposal development, particularly from philanthropic donors.
- People Management: Experience managing team members and programme facilitators.