Greenpeace International stands at the forefront of global environmental challenges, working to change mindsets and power dynamics so that we can protect our climate, forests and oceans and transform energy systems. As a Global Campaign Leader, you will lead and manage the development, execution and delivery of global campaign strategy goals. You will also lead innovative global campaign strategies while influencing decision-makers across the national and regional offices.
About Greenpeace International
Greenpeace is an independent campaigning organisation, which uses peaceful, creative confrontation to expose global environmental problems and develop solutions for a green and peaceful future. Across their 27 national and regional organisations, Greenpeace works directly with communities on the frontlines as they protect their environments.
The organisation’s goal is to create a green and peaceful world where all life on Earth can flourish. That means Greenpeace is working to:
- stop the planet from warming beyond +1.5ºC to prevent the most catastrophic impacts of climate change;
- protect biodiversity in all its forms;
- slow the volume of hyper-consumption and learn to live within our planetary means;
- promote renewable energy as a solution that can power the world; and
- nurture peace, global disarmament and non-violence.
Greenpeace International believes optimism is a form of courage and that a billion acts of courage can spark a brighter tomorrow. To that end, they share stories of courageous acts by their supporters and allies, inviting people out of their comfort zones to take courageous action with us, individually in their daily lives, and in community with others who share our commitment to a better world.
Purpose of the Role
The Global Campaign Leader will be responsible for the development and execution of the overall Greenpeace programme strategy. You will lead innovation to enable different projects pitched by the National-Regional Offices (NROs) to be launched successfully while providing strong leadership to inspire their completions. In addition, the Global Campaign Leader will liaise and manage internal and external stakeholders to influence key decision-makers and thought leaders within the campaign teams.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead, manage and develop a high-performing core team in its enabling role to develop and implement global campaign strategies and objectives.
- Ensure the effective performance of these employees through objective-setting, performance reviews, coaching, training and development.
- Develop, support and lead a strategic leadership community among National and Regional Offices (NRO) programme leads and project leaders.
- Identify and establish clear key criteria for project implementation, with input from the national and regional offices.
- Lead and manage integration and coherence of projects and initiatives towards achieving campaign goals and objectives.
- Manage the funds of the projects, ensuring the financial viability of the campaigns and programmes.
- Manage the engagement of internal and/or external expertise to complement the core team’s skills set and cascade this knowledge into the organisation, when needed.
- Build, good working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders within as well as outside of Greenpeace.
Skills and Qualifications
- At least ten years of senior management experience, preferably in an international and multicultural environment.
- An understanding of the broader social change and environmental movement and the challenges faced in different contexts.
- An intimate and experienced understanding of campaign strategy and campaign implementation and advanced campaign leadership experience.
- Strong leadership and team-building skills and experience of leading and stimulating communities of practice.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong emotional intelligence and demonstrated experience working in diverse groups or contexts.
- Strategic thinking and an ability to translate strategy into an organisational output.
- Negotiation, problem-solving and networking skills.