About ICCO Cooperation
The ICCO Cooperation seeks motivated colleagues who support their mission to end poverty and injustice and who are committed to creating a world where people can live in dignity and security. ICCO was established in 1964 and became a cooperation in 2012. The founding members of the ICCO Cooperation are Edukans, the Protestant Church of The Netherlands (Kerk in Actie) and the association Prisma. Within a coherent programmatic framework, the ICCO Cooperation offers worldwide financial support, lobby and brokerage services to local non-governmental organizations, the private sector, churches, and networks that work on sustainable economic development, democracy and peace, access to basic services, food security and climate mitigation.
The ICCO Cooperation with a global office in The Netherlands has 7 Regional Offices. It has approximately 300 employees worldwide and a budget of €100 million in 2013.The Central and Eastern Africa Regional Office has programs running in 8 countries with sub offices in Juba – South Sudan, Bukavu – BD Congo and Kampala – Uganda.
Mission Talent has been tasked by ICCO (Central & Eastern Africa) with providing them with a vibrant, motivated and practical Programme Officer for the Conflict Transformation and Democratization portfolio who can ensure effective and efficient running of the multi-level and multi-actor programmes in the Great Lakes Region (DRC, Rwanda and Burundi). S/he will be based at the ICCO Bukavu office in the DRC, with regular travel within the region.
Purpose of the Position
To contribute to Conflict Transformation and Democratization (CT & D) processes at local, national and regional levels by facilitating multi-actor, multi-level programs supporting strategic relations and alliances within the framework of ICCO Alliance Strategic Plan.
Overall Job Objective
The job objective is to contribute to regional development processes by facilitating multi-actor, multi-level programmes and support strategic relations and alliances within the framework of ICCO Alliance Strategic Plan.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The Program Officer CT & D works with local partners and coalitions. The main tasks for this position include:
- Development and facilitation of programs, partners and coalitions by applying the four ICCO Alliance strategic roles: strategic financing, lobby/advocacy, capacity building and brokerage;
- Assessment of programs, project proposals and institutions; preparation of financing decisions;
- Monitoring and evaluation of ongoing contracts between ICCO Alliance and (local) partners;
- Contributing to innovation learning, exchange and knowledge-sharing within ICCO Alliance as well as with other organizations;
- Together with partners, develop a financial plan per program and secure funds from various sources;
- Ensure communication and visibility regarding activities and policies of ICCO Alliance and partners towards their constituencies and policy makers;
- Contribute to policy development; Contribute to the development of the (regional) annual plans and develop internal program plans based on a thorough understanding of the context and ICCO Alliance’s niche;
- Participate in strategic alliance activities of ICCO Alliance with other international NGOs and coordinate with other relevant alliances in the region.
Required Qualifications and Skills
- A graduate degree in the relevant thematic areas (Conflict Transformation/Peace Building/Democratization);
- Exposure to working within the region;
- A minimum of 3 years professional working experience in conflict transformation and democratisation;
- Strategic thinking and innovation;
- Planning and organizing skills;
- Sound capacity building and program facilitation skills;
- Negotiation, networking and advocacy skills;
- Communication skills;
- Knowledge of the political, social and economic situation in the Great Lakes Region;
- Knowledge of development issues in the Great Lakes Region;
- Basic knowledge of financial aspects on financing organizations;
- Excellent language skills in English and French.
- Personal Integrity;
- Result oriented;
- Flexibility towards circumstances;
- Concern for standards;
- Understanding others;
- Ability to work well under pressure and proactive work style.