As the agriculture portfolio within SNV grows, we are seeking a new Global Sector Coordinator for Agriculture to serve as the technical lead on proposal development and programme implementation. You will have the opportunity to lead a highly motivated and mission-driven team to deliver on programmes and products within SNV’s agriculture portfolio. You are an excellent communicator and thought leader working at the nexus of the private and development sector, who enjoys building public-private partnerships in an international and fast-paced growth environment.
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organisation that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term presence in-country to apply and adapt our expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a nonprofit organisation that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation, by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organisation and invest in making knowledge flow to and from the frontline.
About the Role
The Global Sector Coordinator in the thematic area of Inclusive Value Chains in Agriculture reports to the Managing Director for Agriculture and works in close collaboration with the Global Agriculture Sector team, Country Directors, Country Sector Leaders and Marketing and Business Development team. Six Global Technical Advisors directly report to this position.
Purpose of the Role
The Global Sector Coordinator for Agriculture will be responsible for leading the team in programme implementation, proposal development and promote a culture of knowledge-sharing and learning. The Coordinator will also be responsible for donor relations, strengthening existing relationships and building new partnerships.
The objectives of the role are to:
- Strengthen SNV’s global position;
- Develop new business for SNV;
- Provide technical assistance to selected SNV projects as per project contracts (for 50%);
- Coordinate, plan and monitor the activities of the Global Technical Advisors ;
- Ensure the quality of delivery of running projects;
- Lead SNV’s thematic team, develop innovative solutions and coordinate learning and;
- Maintain and expand SNV’s relations and partnerships with key thematic players.
Duties and Responsibilities
The selected candidate will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Lead global agriculture strategy development with a focus on developing innovative solutions on agriculture value chains, agribusiness and related areas;
- Ensure high quality of delivery of ongoing projects by supporting and coaching country teams;
- Secure new business for SNV by providing sector information, market- and donor intelligence, supporting proposal development, and conducting proposal technical quality reviews;
- Design and develop new programmes and projects relating to agribusiness and value chain development by initiating and technically leading new donor proposal development;
- Support SNV’s value chain projects in close collaboration with the project managers by delivering short-term support for improvements and or providing technical assistance on the implementation of ongoing projects;
- Maintain and expand SNV’s relations and strategic partnerships in the agriculture value chain industry including working with them to identify upgrading opportunities, public-private partnerships and other opportunities that support an industry-wide vision;
- Prepare, maintain and update knowledge agenda, capture lessons learnt including collection and dissemination of knowledge products to stimulate internal and external knowledge exchange and initiate global learning;
- Coordinate, plan and manage six Global Technical Advisors to assist in providing technical backstopping support, monitor project quality implementation and new business development;
- Build, maintain and utilise networks and relationships with relevant stakeholders e.g. companies, research institutions, universities, donors, etc.
- Represents SNV at key international events;
- Provides thematic contents to SNV’s Marketing and Business Development team;
- Assist the Managing Director of Agriculture in steering the Agriculture Sector activities;
- Undertake frequent travel to the projects.
Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline e.g. agriculture, agribusiness, and agronomy.
- Proven track record with over 10 years of experience in the sector in an international, multi-country context, including advisory work and knowledge development;
- Solid expertise and experience in agriculture value chain development with a focus on quality and driving for continuous improvement of deliveries in the sector;
- Experience with Agri-Finance and (impact) investment;
- Excellent track record in supervision, advisory work related to production, supply chain management, private sector development and technical backstopping;
- Solid program management experience;
- Sound experience of people management; to lead, stimulate, and inspire senior professionals;
- Proven ability and experience of mobilising resources from the public and private sector;
- Credible international track record and expertise in designing and implementing programmes;
- Excellent social and networking skills, ability to engage with governments and the private sector including influencing skills and experience of working effectively in a matrix organisation;
- Strong international networks within the agricultural sector;
- Sound experience within knowledge development, organisational learning and innovation;
- Entrepreneurial, result-oriented and driver for change
- Visionary and able to strategically inspire and energise teams;
- Proficiency in written and spoken English; French would be an advantage.