About World Animal Protection
World Animal Protection have protected animals around the globe for more than 30 years. They use their collective skills and knowledge to move individuals, organisations and governments to transform the lives of animals.
The fate of animals rests with people, so they champion the wellbeing of animals as a vital solution to global challenges, getting the world to protect animals to ensure it is a local priority and an international concern.
World Animal Protection’s shared vision and passion is delivering real change for animals across the globe. Their work and behaviours are aligned to Four Moves – Act now; Aim high; Get creative and Look around.
The organisation’s work in more than 50 counties requires people who possess the skills, aptitudes and qualities that align with their culture, living their Four Moves to ensure they make decisions and perform in a way that reflects the brand.
About the Role
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Accountability to: Functional Directors
Purpose of the role
The Country Director will develop and lead the national strategy for World Animal Protection in Brazil with an emphasis on campaign strategy and influencing, especially on issues of industrial farming and wildlife. After a recent global restructure the Country Director will chart a new path for growth in this key emerging market with potential for impact in the entire Latin American region. The Country Director will lead a national team of 10 to develop and achieve national plans and objectives that bring to life the global strategy of World Animal Protection in Brazil. The Country Director will capitalise on opportunities for further developing the brand and growing the resource base. He or she will also play a critical external role, representing the organisation in a leadership capacity in external forums and with media and other stakeholders.
- Championing the global strategy;
- Contributing to strategy development from both a local and global perspective;
- Development and delivery of local medium-term development plans;
- Ensuring robust local plans are in place to achieve global strategic objectives;
- Ensuring local financial integrity and compliance;
- Ensuring local cross functional efficiency between Programmes, Communications and Fundraising;
- Local stakeholder management; and
- Development and delivery of local mobilisation, lead generation, supporter journey and data management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure local perspectives are contributed to the development of global programme and campaign strategies;
- Ensure effective local project development and management – including planning, delivery, performance management and reporting; and
- Ensure delivery of local programme and campaign commitments.
- Ensure local perspectives are contributing to the development of global fundraising strategy;
- Ensure delivery of the local fundraising plans, achieving local targets
- Ensure effective fundraising performance management and reporting is in place.
- Ensure local perspectives are contributed to the development of global communications strategy; and
- Ensure the development of a local communications plan to reflect global objectives.
- Lead and manage the Brazil team by:
- Motivating staff through facilitating engagement and participation towards achieving organisational goals.
- Providing leadership to the team, embedding effective ways of working within the teams and across functions.
- Ensuring staff have the necessary support on their professional and career development to build their capability to achieve their agreed annual objectives; and
- Fostering a culture that promotes diversity and inclusion of staff;
- Oversee the development of the country office budget in liaison with the local and International Finance teams; and
- Take overall responsibility for the effective and efficient management of delegated budget in accordance with World Animal Protection’s financial procedures and local governance regulations.
- Delivery of World Animal Protection’s Global Strategy across the core themes of Mission, Movement & Transformation in a global, matrix environment;
- Help secure resources (income) and reach (people and partnerships) by actively contributing to our supporter relationships, fundraising, communications, and donor reporting;
- Actively take part and support the organisation to ensure that it manage its resources (financial, staff and IT) efficiently and effectively by improvement of systems, reporting and compliance;
- Contribute to a learning culture and create a positive working environment for staff; and
- Some international travel required.
Skills and Experience
- Experience of working in an international environment;
- Experience of senior level networking, developing relationships with internal and external stakeholders and in representing an organisation to external stakeholders at all levels including media;
- Ability to lead, inspire and manage teams to deliver results on time, within budget and to deadlines;
- Strong leadership qualities with the ability to communicate direction, motivate staff and gain commitment to action together with experience of building capacity of staff;
- Ability to develop and implement innovative solutions to problems and make recommendations that take account of long term benefits and risks;
- Excellent presentation skills and written and spoken English and Portuguese;
- Some expertise at a strategic level in fundraising and able to bring value in relation to one or more types of fundraising; and
- A strong commitment to the aims and values of World Animal protection.