Finance and Support Services Director
About World Vision International
World Vision International is an independent, global, Christian relief, development and advocacy organisation dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. World Vision is dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. Motivated by its Christian faith, World Vision is dedicated to working with the world’s most vulnerable people.
Purpose of Position
- Provide overall leadership, oversight and management support for all aspects of financial management in the National Office (NO). This position is seen as a strategic partner, member of the Senior Leadership Team of the NO, with a focus on ensuring accountability, stewardship, coordinating planning and budgeting processes, providing accurate financial data, analysis and advices, as well as developing financial strategy that best serves the NO strategic and program objectives. Responsible for the finance staff capacity strengthening, the development and implementation of good internal controls, risk management, and utilization and safe guarding of assets according to WV approved policies and procedures.
- Provide leadership to the Supply Chain team ensuring that the procurement of organizational resources is executed effectively, efficiently and economically.
- Provide overall leadership to the ICT team and ensure that the office has reliable, sufficient connectivity and the organizations information systems and resources are adequately protected.
- Provide overall leadership to the Administration and Fleet Management function ensuring that the national office is effectively supported and staff have a clean, secure and hospitable place to work.
Leadership, Capacity Development and Strategic Partnering
- Provide strong and positive leadership to the finance department ensuring competent and motivated staff are hired and retained, providing efficient delivery of services.
- Coordinate professional and personal development of finance staff through adequate orientation, on-the-job coaching, identification of learning, training needs and opportunities (e.g. in accounting, SunSystems, grant management, risk management, leadership, etc.); and succession planning.
- Model Christ-centered servant leadership and support spiritual development of his/her team.
- Actively participate in the NO Senior Management/ Leadership team meetings
- Attend and actively participate in strategic regional meetings.
- Facilitate ND, Operations, Board and other non-finance staff in understanding and interpretation of financial statements.
- Ensure partnership finance policies and procedures are understood by Senior Management, Operations/Technical staff, Communities, Local Partners and Board, as appropriate.
- Develop strong networks internally (other NOs, SOs and partnership entities) and externally (other NGOs, banking entities, communities, etc.) through effective communication, relationships and twin citizenship.
- Promote shared resource networks within the region, and the partnership.
- Adhere to WVI key policy documents – mission, core values, and covenant of partnerships
- Ensure adequate cost efficiency and effectiveness measures are in place and are being followed through
- Providing cost analysis, promoting benchmarks and making recommendations for determining effective resource utilization at all levels.
- Contributing to the development of appropriate policies and procedures for procurement of goods and services, in collaboration with the Supply Chain team.
Financial Planning and Budgeting
- In collaboration with other NO Directors, advise the ND on strategic resource acquisition and allocation in line with RWG/VIR (Regional Working Group /Virtual Investment Review) recommendations approved by the Regional Leader.
- Coordinate the planning and budgeting process and provide technical support, to ensure global and regional guidelines are met.
- Review alignment of budgets between National Office, projects, grants, MyPBAS and Support Offices.
- Control of NO budget, cash flow and project funding, by providing timely and relevant information to budget managers, in collaboration with the Operations Leader.
- Contribute to the development of WV NO strategic direction and priorities.
Fiscal accounting, compliance, monitoring and reporting
- Design and manage systems, policies and procedures that provide appropriate levels of security and control of WV assets, resources and operations.
- Coordinate the submission of timely, accurate and complete relevant reporting to the Partnership and to internal users.
- Define and implement efficient and effective internal control systems.
- Adhere to partnership policies, procedures and guidelines as stipulated in the WVI Financial Manual and other documents, including – but not limited to: grant compliance, planning & budgeting, year-end closing, carry forward, accounting and reporting.
- Coordinate the timely and accurate submission of financial reports in Notes FFR (Field Financial Reporting) database.
- Review the reconciliation of MyPBAS to FFR monthly with action plan for addressing outstanding items.
- Provide regular analysis of ADP/Grant financial reports and timely feedback to ADP/Grant managers for decision making
- Ensure NO Finance staff visit Programs/Projects to monitor accountability issues, follow up on implementation of audit findings and provide support as needed.
Financial Risk Management and Controls
- Manage appropriate financial systems and controls and ensure they are in place to avoid significant finance audit risk ratings, both at the NO and project levels.
- Coordinate management responses to finance audits performed to the NO and projects; ensure they are sent on time to the Audit Department; and that finance related audit recommendations are implemented timely at all levels.
- Coordinate adequate preparation for GC and external audits.
- Manage Financial Risk.
- Implement anti-corruption and fraud strategies.
Supply Chain Management
- Coordinate and ensure an optimal interface between the supply chain and business units for efficient customer service delivery.
Improve IT infrastructure and provide quality service
- Ensure improved office/programs connectivity
- Facilitate and ensure preparation of and adherence to computer usage policies
IT Security and Integrity
- Ensure office disaster preparedness and policies updated to include new technologies, trends and threats.
Ensure that WV staff and assets are secured, safe and well maintained; oversee logistics coordination
Ensure that WV provides quality hospitality services to staff and visitors
- Responsible for vehicle procurement, management and maintenance.
Minimum Education, Training and Experience Requirement
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration, or a related field
- MBA in Finance, MSC in Finance/Accounting/Auditing preferred
- ACCA, CIMA, CPA or equivalent preferred
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in finance position with medium business/medium NGO/government agency
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in senior finance management position
Preferred Skills and Knowledge
- Solid knowledge of accounting principles, financial systems, budget/cash flow monitoring and internal accounting controls
- Ability to solve complex problems and to exercise independent judgment
- Must be able to lead and manage a team
- Good working knowledge of computerized accounting systems, preferable Sun Systems & Vision. Must be computer literate in Microsoft Office programs
- Knowledge of government grant regulations and financial reporting requirements preferred
- Knowledge of local accounting system preferred
- Proficiency in written and spoken English
- Good oral/written and interpersonal skills
- Able to work on a cross-cultural environment with a multi-national staff
- Ability to travel within country, regional and internationally